Push 3 Users Thread

Just a little tip for those that do use MPE soft synths, now that we have a MPE Sounds folder within Abletons Browser that only showed the factory content, well you can get your favourite MPE plugin sounds to show there too.
I use Equator 2 a lot some really good MPE sounds there. Now say for example I wanted to save a MPE bass sound, for example call the preset in equator as nasty bass.
Within Ableton I would save it using the name BA EQ2 MPE nasty bass in your user library, ( I do it that way so I know what type of sound what plugin as well BA=Bass EQ2 Equator 2)
Within your user library create a folder called Bass MPE put the saved preset within, and voila it should then show in Abletons MPE Sounds and viewable within Push’s browser too when using in controller mode.
Hope that makes sense…

5 Likes

Just had the pads freeze on me while in the middle of just working something I’ve had going in the background for a few hours. Control Mode.

Was playing on a converted audio to Simpler track, switched to another, and the pads stopped responding.

EDIT: Happened again after restarting the project, something about going from the converted Simpler Track to another.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s related. I have a controller version too, and it looks like it’s registered correctly. I didn’t have to do anything, the correct serial number just showed up in my account. However, Expressive Choir isn’t free for me, but supposedly costs €39.

I sent them a ticket last Saturday and still haven’t heard back. Fortunately there’s so much to explore for me that I’m in no hurry to get the pack. :sweat_smile: But I would’ve expected a rather quick fix, considering it seems to affect a lot, maybe all controller users.

1 Like

Just got mine, might not get a chance this evening but will update soon - good or bad :joy: Jogwheel seems all good anyway

I am super sorry to ask this, but can you ask this question in the other Push thread or start a new topic, please? :pray:

1 Like

I posted a similar question in the Ableton Live thread related to comparing Bitwig to Live (considering the purchase of a Push 3 myself): https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ableton-live-11/141794/1828. I got some good responses there.

2 Likes

I got this too - the email address seems legitimate, but it’s a fairly odd request. Is there harm to not responding? I got mine linked to my suite with no issues etc.

1 Like

Not the response I was hoping for when it’s clearly working for others :cry:

Sharing for awareness though.

Could those with controller versions confirm again please as I’m sure a few of you said it worked fine. Happy to take a PM rather than flood here again! Might just be in unfortunate with my specific unit and MacBook.

1 Like

I’ve sent it off anyway. I think it’s legit (though odd) but address seemed sound. No harm in it.

1 Like

That is very odd, I can power my unit (controller) with every usb-c cable I have. And I have like 6 different cables, some Apple, ugreen and theirs. All work fine.
Perhaps with the standalone version you lose the possibility to power it through USB? Anyway, when USB powered I get a horrible noise on the inputs, ground loop kind of noise. The noise disappears when I plug the DC adapter. I wonder if that would be helpful as well for the people that experienced a similar noise on the headphone out.

EDIT: I have a MacBook air M1 and a Mac mini also with M1, both can power the Push fine through USB.

3 Likes

Good to know. I’d rather have usb power and noisy inputs than not have it at all!

Bizarre it works fine for some though! I’ve had no luck with any cables :joy:

1 Like

Yeah it would suck for me not being able to bus power it as I intend to mainly use it with the MacBook air without DC. I would keep trying with their support, I think the person who wrote you back is just mistaken. That’s why I was wondering if maybe with standalone you lose the option to bus power it…

4 Likes

Seems to me that support person is mistaken. From the manual:

2.1 Connecting Push to a Computer

Turn on Push and use the USB-C cable to connect the hardware to your computer. The power supply does not need to be connected when Push is in Control Mode, however, you can plug it in to charge the hardware for later standalone use if needed.

5 Likes

That’s worded a little oddly though and I suspect it’s standalone model focused so not counting on it for the controller version

2 Likes

This makes little sense to me, and it contradicts the manual:

In terms of features, there is no difference between Push units with or without a processor, the only difference is that units with a processor can be used to make music without being connected to a computer.”

"For the sake of brevity, we will be referring to Push throughout this manual without making a distinction between standalone units and units without a processor unless explicitly necessary."

“Turn on Push and use the USB-C cable to connect the hardware to your computer. The power supply does not need to be connected when Push is in Control Mode, however, you can plug it in to charge the hardware for later standalone use if needed.”

3 Likes

This sounds petty but it’s going to be a real buzzkill if you can’t power over USB. Mine should be coming tomorrow, that’s the first thing I’ll test (with an M1 Pro).

1 Like

I would think about it this way - if the controller only version wasn’t capable of USB power, then that it would mean it has a hardware difference with standalone. You should be able to upgrade the controller version to a standalone version at a later date by installing a CPU, SSD and battery, yeah? So how are you going to upgrade a USB port?

If that were true, then it would mean the USB port is potentially locked or something on controller only. Or it would mean there is no USB power and it only charges/needs the battery. Very confusing. I’m more inclined to believe the people posting in here that say their non-standalone versions do USB power.

Not petty at all in my opinion. Push 2 could be powered off USB, and that wasn’t even USB-C. Would be a downgrade.

1 Like

It can of course be powered over USB in controller mode. The support person is wrong.

6 Likes

Silly question maybe but is there a way to get an oscilloscope? (And maybe spectrograph) to work in standalone mode on incoming audio?

Well, she’s not wrong in that my Push 3 can’t be powered over USB :joy:

I’ll wait and see what they come back with though. Clearly working for most people - though some reporting that it’s barely visible on bus power.

If support can’t bottom it out then I’m probably in a place where I’d rather return my unit, wait the two months and buy again when stock is back in just to confirm whether or not it’s my MacBook causing the issue. It probably is an important enough issue for me to not be able to let it slide.

3 Likes