Push 3 Users Thread

Maybe, but the ones I mention are built for the Push 2. They are completely integrated with the grid. I think they even work with other controllers like the Launchpads.

1 Like

Okay, so I’m not getting great results using the output from Push. Not sure what you’re seeing on your end, but the volume drop starts at Push’s outputs.

I’ve tried multiple configurations (after finally settling up the 18i20 via ADAT) and they all show the same thing that the output is quiet.

This can’t be the intended result.

EDIT: I should add that I am using the OTO machines and the only way I get a decent signal on return is turning up the gain on Boum mixed with Drive. I could do the same thing as you with turning the gain up on Push, but again… this doesn’t seem like how it should work.

So I’m not crazy. Thank you. I hadn’t yet thought to test the inputs and outputs separately.

If the issue really is the output we’ll have to hope for a firmware fix. There’s no way I’ve found to adjust output levels in the same way we can adjust input levels via settings.

Even with the input gain turned to to +20db it still sounds soft and muddy. I’ll have to switch back to taking up more I/O on the 18i20 and avoiding the Push I/O until this is resolved.

I’ll probably write to support to see what they think. Let me know if you figure anything else out.

2 Likes

:rofl: yeah, I can see how this can make someone question their sanity!

Im gonna bring it up in the beta on centercode.

Would love to know that there’s a firmware fix.

2 Likes

Are the OTO boxes meant for guitar? It could be that the return signal is mismatched to the Push’s line ins.

When you plug a guitar into a non Hi-Z input, it’s not only quiet, but sounds weak and thin.

I also notice that the OTOs use unbalanced connections. With some audio interfaces, using an unbalanced cable/signal with a balanced input can also result in a volume drop.

They deal with line level inputs quite well and are also line out.

And although the output is unbalanced, the connectors support balanced or unbalanced cables, which is convenient.

It could easily be that the Ableton input preamps don’t love unbalanced inputs. I don’t have a lot of experience dealing with unbalanced signals.

1 Like

The Push 3 manual says that you can switch between three input levels

The input jacks can be switched between three preamp types: Line (balanced); Instrument (unbalanced); and High (a higher gain instrument input, unbalanced). For each input, there is also the option to add another 20dB of gain digitally.

Might that help?

I believe this problem should be solved now…

First thing to try… Have you cycled through all the volume levels (Main Output & Master Volume)?

2nd thing to try that fixed it for me.

Vayner from the beta forum suggested to connect Push to the computer as the primary interface and then check the output levels.

Mine were extremely low. Bringing the Analog Outs 1/2 to 0.00 db fixed the issue.

I now have the inputs set to Instrument In and can freely adjust the In Gain on OTO boxes as needed.

Hope this helps. Here’s a screenshot of how my levels were before adjusting on the computer:

AND… don’t know if. you see this, but you can change clock source on Push to ADAT, making it much easier to use the 18i20 as the primary clock.

3 Likes

OTO Boum is a balanced jack compatible connector.

I had no issues with level on mine went I sent it into push 3.

1 Like

is it a known issue that midi sync in does not work? I can not get push 3 to respond to midi start/stop/transport from any other midi devices, but Push 3 can send midi out just fine.

1 Like

I’ll try to test this later today!

In the meantime I have submitted a second ticket for the issue of the jog wheel randomly not selecting notes in clips view - they closed my first ticket for this without even attempting to address it. It will lock up and just refuse to do anything on any clip. Can’t select notes, can’t select all, can’t move anything around. I’ve even checked all of the clips on a project to see if maybe it somehow got “stuck.” I can’t identify a specific cause. Sometimes reloading the project fixes it and sometimes it doesn’t. Usually I have to load a different project and reload the original project. If that doesn’t work the only fix is usually to turn off the push entirely. With the extremely long boot time of the Push, this is a real momentum killer.

This time I included a video of the problem happening, me selecting and deselecting all notes, switching clips, etc. Hopefully this ticket actually gets taken seriously.

5 Likes

Are you on the beta, or regular release?

Are you able to use the jog wheel for navigation without it locking up?

I’m on the regular release, and editing notes in clip view is the only place it locks up. Every other function using the jogwheel works just fine. Navigating menus, renaming, navigating session view, choosing instruments/FX etc all work correctly.

3 Likes

As mentioned above I can confirm this behavior in the beta

2 Likes

I haven’t had this happen in the clip view yet, but I know I don’t spend a ton of time editing midi events in Clip View.

Usually it’s just to adjust velocity or pitch on a single note.

Have you or @m0ld noticed if there’s anything specific about the clips you’re working on? Like are midi notes overlapping, multiple chords, or lots of quick short notes?

I know @m0ld said it was random, but I thought I’d ask just in case there’s something that seem similar when it stops working.

I’ve tried looking for a pattern, and I can’t find one. Chords, overlapping notes, no overlapping notes, drum programs, ableton’s synths, sliced simplers, clips that were programmed on the step sequencer, clips that were live recorded, clips I used Capture to get the midi, clips I’ve never edited, clips I edited extensively, switching between certain clips. I really can’t find a reliable way to reproduce it (and thereby potentially work around it). It’s even random when it will happen - sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes I can go 2 hours before it strikes.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t a pattern but I certainly can’t find one.

My suspicion until today was that maybe it happened if I didn’t hit “Done” when editing midi info and then switched clips, but that turned out to be a nonstarter - I did so several times and it didn’t trigger the glitch. Then it struck later even though I was being very careful to hit “done.”

1 Like

As far as I can tell it’s random, but most of my work is sample based. I usually get the 808’s in one take, but I had a client that was very specific and requires lots of editing and it was a mess.

2 Likes

For me it also occurs seemingly random and I had the same suspicion that not pressing done was the root of this evil because sometimes I was able to “fix” this by going into another track, selecting a note and explicitly pressing done again. Other times it made things worst though by occurring on that track as well. Let’s hope they closed the ticked because they fixed it already since this is the most annoying bug I saw on the push as of now which often lead to throwing away the wip project.

2 Likes

Is there a way to set a tempo for a sample in simpler or audio track? I think that would solve my issue with tails.

Do you mean something other than the “warp as x bars” button?