Push 3 Standalone - Feedback from current users

Hi there,

(wasn’t sure if the current Push 3 thread was the right place to ask this, so feel free to move it if needed)

Context : I am considering to buy a Push 3 but I don’t wanna get rid of my hardware setup (Digi trinity + A4).

What is really appealing to me is that I am an experienced Ableton user (since Live 6) - I produced most of my released tracks with (mostly) only Ableton and VSTs. I like the idea of being able to only bring Push 3 (standalone) to some gigs and be able to play a live act with it (and still be able to bring my whole setup too).

That being said, I was wondering if any current user of the standalone version has already faced some performance limitation with it. (Speaking mostly of its CPU & RAM as it’s really lower than what I got on my M1 Pro - I know it’s a linux system made to run only Ableton so that should be optimized but I am affraid I won’t be able to use as many tracks as I need).

Have you faced any overload while playing some of your “ableton stuff” ?

I usually have, simultaneously, 10 or 12 tracks with simpler+one shots+a few FXs (mostly for drums and stabs) and 6-7 “instruments” tracks (for bass, leads, strings, pads) with a few FXs too.

I am asking that cause I am wondering if the best option is to get the “light” Push 3 version (then need to bring my Macbook with it) and wait for a next hardware upgrade to get something more powerful; or if the standalone is already worth it (best option as I get rid of the computer for live purposes).

If I need to “mix” both setups, It will need to get the audio In for some “Elektron Chain” (probably A4/ST/DN as the sampling part can be handled in Ableton) - dunno if that will impact the performances or not.

Cheers!

here’s my take on it, I have the standalone. I find the built in ‘computer’ useful when I just want to pick it up and sketch ideas or import something I’ve worked on with the computer and just hear it and play with it in a different context outside the studio. It feels like an instrument, to play with things. CPU wise, it hasn’t winced at me once. I tend to find my MBP only really struggles once I start using third party VSTS for instruments and FX like the Slate & Ash Kontakt instruments or Izotope plugins, so as you can’t run them on the standalone anyway, it’s not an issue.
For Live use, I haven’t tried it yet, I think I want to take it out, though I also sing and perform live visuals, so I’m experimenting if my OP-Z can handle that, but honestly, a laptop is so small in the grand scheme of things, I’d def bring one of mine with me either as back up/file management or for running visuals off anyhow, so the romantic idea of just turning up with a Push 3, is a bit of a fantasy I think. In that sense, the push without the brain is probably better and more stable for live shows anyhow. You can always get a free extension for your MBP called caffeine which still runs your computer and doesn’t put it to sleep when you close the lid/display, so one USB cable and the laptop tucked away is actually pretty neat still.

1 Like

thank you for your feedback.

I got rid of most of my third party VST as I really like how Ableton’s native ones have improved. So I could definitively live with only the Ableton stock plugins and a few M4L ones.

I get your point regarding the use of computer but then what’s the point of getting the standalone version if u still need (most of the time) to keep it connected to the MBP ? Even in the sofa you could bring the computer with you, keep it closed and put it next to you. That’s a little bit less “transportable” but 1000 € cheaper. (+ the MBP battery lasts longer than the Push 3 one)

(The “not-standalone” version owns an audio interface too, right ?)

If I take the standalone option I really want it to be “standalone” and be able to use it without the computer. I am sometimes a bit scared to bring my Macbook with me at some parties (it depends of the party, of course), dunno why.

My Push 3 Standalone is on the way, but I plan on using it for performing, specifically in an effort to avoid bringing the laptop. I also don’t want to haul that thing around, plus there’s something just…liberating about not having a laptop in the setup.

The main limitation (especially for someone like you who’s also planning to run hardware) is latency. Dataline has gone into some detail about this in this thread (Dataline on Push 3 + Perkons LiveSet!) and his accompanying video. MIDI latency specifically seems to be too high for running hardware through the Push. However, Cenk alludes to the fact that Ableton is likely to add per-track MIDI delay to the Standalone. (In the video, he’s using Push with a laptop).

This latency (along with regular audio latency you encounter with any interface to some extent) seems to be the main potential sticking point - not CPU/performance. (Anecdotally I’ve heard about people loading dozens of devices on different tracks and having no issues). This kinda makes sense considering Ableton devices are generally CPU-efficient and optimized for the software. Meanwhile, VST’s can get more intense, but those aren’t currently available on Standalone. (Not sure about MFL devices., which ostensibly should be usable on Standalone).

I’m expecting some real hassle with my Standalone for the desired use case (basically replacing my Octatrack as a performance mixer), but betting on Ableton optimizing the latency and/or adding MIDI delay. Will update along the way!

1 Like

Same way I can pick up a battery powered groovebox or iPad at home or in the studio and quickly jam an idea out with a pair of headphones, that’s the benefit, with a full version of Live and an amazing MPE controller. And then you e also instantly got a proper ableton project to develop it with. I also sometimes use it just as a recorder for other gear and it’s much quicker to get the samples into some form of project that importing random wav files weeks later.

1 Like

Thanks! Never read anything about these latency issues.

I think I can live without external audio, at least for some time if there is hope for these latency issues to be fixed someday. Btw that’s nothing really “new” to me as I also had to handle latency issues in my current setup (4 Elektron boxes connected to Ableton Suite through Overbridge)

If I wanna bring the Push 3 to parties without bringing my Elektron stuff, It means i’ll have to record them as “loops” and will only be able to tweak the Ableton FXs and not the instruments themselves… Still gotta figure if that’s acceptable or not.

Even If I have more pleasure playing with my hardware setup than on Ableton; I also keep producing full tracks on Ableton so I guess that could be seen as a totally other 2nd setup.

But I am still not sure if I have to go for the standalone version or take the standard one and wait a few months before investing more money.

You’re right !

I have no batttery powered groovebox (neither a recent iPad) so; even If I wanna jam on the Digitakt only, I have to power it with its power supply. Having a “closed” laptop instead of the power supply isn’t really a bigger constraint… (or at least, not a constraint worth 1000 bucks ?)

Also PUSH 3 standalone user. Ultimately its about the the value proposition of being able to work without a computer (for portability or just to change paradigm/feel more like a musician than an accountant!) How much is that worth to you?

For me I love to get away from the big screen and mouse, PUSH 3 became the perfect partner for my Eurorack and the final destination for recording and looping Eurorack stems and sending CV sequences to Eurorack etc., but it is a job that could have been done with a computer/laptop/ADAT to CV etc…but I just don’t feel inspired working that way…

6 Likes

Do this. If you find you’re not moving it out of your studio setup, which I imagine may be the case if there’s friction in moving your laptop and power supplies about, you can always add the standalone kit in the autumn when it’s available, and you’ll also know by the. Whether you enjoy the push workflow too.

2 Likes

That’s also the reason I went from a computer-based setup to a full hardware one :slight_smile: !

I haven’t hit any technical walls yet and I’ve been using a pretty diverse sets of instruments, with multiple drum racks and sample libraries.

I haven’t needed to freeze anything (but you can freeze).

The only thing I notice on some of the bigger sets is when loading a sample library, there is some stuttering while it’s loading.

1 Like

Yeah looks like it’s the most reasonable option to start with…

I mostly use the same sample library than the one I build for my Digitakt so it’s not that big. (a bit bigger of the 1Go limitation but we don’t speak about a 1To library at all …) I don’t think that would be a big issue

Another user here, had it for about a month. I’ve been using it exclusively in standalone mode. I’ve never had an issue with the CPU - I’m usually running 8 to 10 tracks with loads of effects. I’ve got about 9 songs that are partially finished, some point I will be transferring the projects to the computer to finish - I find detailed automation to be a pain on the Push.

1 Like

thanks for the feedback! yeah I think I would also go to the full version of Ableton to finish tracks and for arrangement/automation matters but keep them as clips on Push for live purposes

Had mine for a month or so, as well. I’m sure there are many great ways to use it. I personally think the biggest advantage of the Push 3 standalone is to build tracks in concert with a computer, and then untether when it’s time to perform. That way, you get all the benefits of building in the box, and then get all the benefits of a hardware performance without fussing with a computer or having the screen in front of you.

I haven’t found I can do everything I want in standalone mode—setting up macros, moving tracks around, moving many clips all at once, all of it is so much easier in the computer. But the standalone is a lot of fun especially when the songs are set up, and a great way to play live.

8 Likes

that’s a good point… thanks!

1 Like

I’ve had my Push 3 Standalone for 2 weeks now and I’m torn between keeping it or sending it back and exchanging it for the controller version. Surely it’s great to break out of the studio, to make music with friends, or with me in nature. But somehow the workflow is totally slow and bumpy compared to an Elektron Box. The MPE pads are good, no question, but the rubber buttons have to be pressed precisely. The mechanical feedback like elektron boxes is missing. Second, the graphical interface. Very little work is done with symbols and pictograms. It just takes a lot longer to program a synth if all you see is text and boringly scroll through rows and columns. I am currently wondering whether I should swap the setup for a PUSH 3 controller and a Macbook or a Surface Laptop/Book. I think you’re still mobile and have a lot more options in Ableton. But these workflow restrictions with the feeling that it’s lame and I’m much faster with the mouse on the PC, I already had that with Push 2. I think I just fell for the P3 product marketing. As far as the workflow is concerned, there is no optimization for the better. For me anyway. Has anyone used the Push 3 controller paired with a portable computer for on-the-go sessions without a power outlet? Please excuse my google translate

1 Like

My advice would be to do your homework and make sure your laptop can power the Controller version via hub power only. My 2023 MacBook Pro does not do this and I’m forced into using the power supply.

I’ve done an awful lot of moaning about this on the forum so won’t go into things further but to stress the point - a Push 3 controller is much more hit and miss with hub power compared with a Push 1 or Push 2.

The only way to be certain of true portability with a Controller would be via a battery bank of some sort. I wasn’t keen on that hence why I’m in the process of moving from Controller to Standalone.

1 Like

Thanks thats a good advice

1 Like