Dataline on Push 3

Push 3 + Leaf Audio + Trumpet Performance

Hey,

Some may know this already, I have been involved full-time for the past year with Push 3. I am very excited to see it being released today. To celebrate this, me and my friend Tan (Data79) came together and made a little tune on Push 3.

Trumpet and Leaf Audio goes into Push 3. The Roland Boutique is used as a Midi Controller for Push 3.

Personally, I find the Push 3 very exciting and it helps me a lot in the studio! Connecting any gear I want straight into it via ADAT, modular or not, sequence away, record the inputs and BAM - it’s on your computer running Ableton Live, ready to be produced.

I would dare and say it almost replaces a black box I have been using for over 10 years… But - more on that soon, stay tuned and enjoy the vid!

72 Likes

I would love to see a workflow between the Push3 and the Elektron boxes.
Specially by you Dataline, please consider it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

43 Likes

a midi controller for midi controller, midicontrolception

nice track :slight_smile:

1 Like

eager to know how it compares against the ‘black box’. especially in terms real-time (re)sampling/looping workflow — though I guess it’s still more Live-dependent, as the controller itself didn’t change much…

1 Like

Well blast from the past, so good to hear from you again at last.

It will be interesting to hear why Dataline thinks this might replace the Octatrack.

The more reviews I watch the more I feel the Push3 standalone version is a complete waste of money. Maybe after a few updates it could be seen as a standalone device but at this moment it clearly isn’t.

2 Likes

In standalone mode, without follow actions and/or an arranger, you have to trigger scenes and perform a song to record it. For standalone use, this is a clear miss. I hope it gets addressed via updates. I consider myself a member of the target audience for this device and I didn’t order it. I can’t justify the cost with such a glaring omission.

I think the standalone experience needs to be further fleshed out to compete with other standalone devices.

Everything else looks awesome to me :smile:

5 Likes

Was it a lot of work recording the OT performance you prepared for this into Live clips? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure Ableton is very thankful for having you on board. I hope Elektron will develop a flag ship one day together with you, so that you would go back and forth between these two amazing companies bringing in all of your experience.

2 Likes

Welcome back Dataline. Looking forward too seeing more vids!

Do we know for sure follow actions don’t work? If you create them in the software and move that project to standalone the follow actions don’t transfer? Some YouTuber told me follow actions did work. But I’ll believe it when I see it myself

They may work when first created on a computer. I was referring to standalone functionality in the context of making a song/arrangement.

1 Like

Yes, features like follow actions, bpm change via scenes, midi cc etc works when you transfer a Set with these features enabled, to push standalone.

Hah, naa, it was much easier than that cause OT wasnt involved.

Thanks! And im also very thankful to be accepted by Ableton. Lets see how things go…
Its impossible to say what future holds… However, i see myself (and many others) moved on from elektron to higher plains so I wouldn’t dream on going back currently, especially considering how the latest outputs from elektron are looking through my eyes.

I use the Octatrack as the mixer, effect unit and sampler player in my setup. Push does all of that in such a gracious manner inside Live territory - because Live is my DAW, this makes my end production after creating the music soooo much easier.

Push doesn’t have a fader but i have a midi controller which has 8 faders - so im sorted and to me, it takes the OT concept beyond as i can now mix scenes.

Push doesn’t have 4 inputs to mix. But 2 ins are enough for me for live playing. In studio, adat is always connected which is a huggeeee thing for me.

Octatrack doesn’t have cv gate out but push has.

No polyphony on OT.

Ultimately, I love the OTs instant audio recording. But its let down by lot of data management, you have to save buffers manually, you have to work around 4 parts etc… All of that is cured on push in my eyes. Instantly i can grab loops from any incoming audio n save hassle free without the unnecessarily limited 4 parts in place.

Of course, this is my workflow and push suits me very good. Others have different workflow and they need other features.

On the push, I miss the Rate parameter and instant parameter assignment to a scene from OT. And yea, push is no where near as playable as OT is, so push needs more prep. Rest is more or less very functional on push in a much more usable and studio friendly manner. Oh i also plug OT into push to record some loops. So i haven’t stopped using OT - its just retired and out of date for being the center piece in my liveset up.

23 Likes

I can hear the gentle tinkling of tears falling on to the clacky buttons of octatrack users all over the world. The king is dead. Long live the king.

1 Like

Hey Cenk, thanks for your reports and work on push. I’ve only spend an hour with it so far but loving it already. I can really see its potential.

And lovely performance as well !

Can you elaborate on this a bit ? How do you create scenes and mix them ? Do you mean simply assigning a midi fader to multiple parameters and if yes how do you control the range for each parameter?
Curious what you mean by this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Cenk, was just wondering which Midi controller you use for faders?

I can see myself keeping my OT permanently connected on a stereo pair of adat ins so I can still use the OT as a wonderful sound source and manipulator.

1 Like

Wow, quite the assessment! Kind of puts a damper on my hopes for imminent upcoming flagship products (e.g. updated/adapted Analog Keys incl. 8 voices with wavetables, updated/adapted Analog Rytm incl. digital machines, updated/adapted Octatrack incl. Overbridge and streamlined workflow, performance mixer/sampler, …).

I will eventually get around to do a video on this…

The midi controller I use has 8 faders. Each of them has different assignments to various fx. On the OT, you would switch between Scenes and change the fader behaviour - which is awesome and missing on Push workflow. However, when having 8 faders, I can apply and mix different fader settings by moving multiple faders. Let’s say I move 1st and 2nd faders to add reverb and delay. Then I move other faders to add even more FX. And the 8th fader could be something to filter everything out and then push all faders back into place and you are good to go, type of thing I am going on about :smiley:

You can control the range of each assigned parameter on Live. Select the assigned parameter and set its lowest and highest accepted values. It’s very cool! But, has to be setup on the computer- for now!

I have the Akai MidiMix, I place it side ways next to the Push and bam, 8 faders and knobs to assign your heart out to.

Exactly, all the gear I have around has just got another life due to this… I can play around and capture audio so easily on the Push… It’s almost ridiculous.

I am very sorry to put a damper on and I feel bad for this - we do not know what will happen in the future. Hopefully elektron will do what their user-base really want and bring back OT MD and MnM in proper modern fashions, make a much needed performer mixer, or some other cool way to expand music tech.

16 Likes

Don’t let that dampen your hopes. Creativity and innovation come from all sorts of places. Differences in philosophy and design aesthetics happen from time to time but that doesn’t stop cool machines from appearing :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!