Push 2 alternative

#Searched and nothing specific, if there’s a thread please move it to the most appropriate#

I really love my push 2, however I’m unsure I get the most out of it.

Build quality, integration with live, the pads and all that stuff is great, however most of my work is sketched out on machines, and recorded to ableton for editing and the like.

I find myself really using push as an expensive transport controller, that allows me some rudimentary mixing facilities with the encoders.

It was a treat to myself, and as much as I can live with it being a pretty thing that doesn’t get much use, I am wondering if there’s a midi controller out there with the build quality of push 2, with faders, transport and a couple of assignable pads.

I’ve looked at the livid base and the touchstrips put me off.
I looked at the new apc’s and wasn’t entirely convinced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I can see your point…by not using all of Push, especially if you have hardware as well. Maybe the Behringer X-Touch…there’s a Mackie version of it as well.

2 Likes

Mackie x touch?

The Beringher is the new bcf 2000 isn’t it? Motorised faders etc?

1 Like

This one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTouch--behringer-by-touch

1 Like

I think the Mackie version is called MCU Pro but I’d go with the Behringer…it costs half of what the MCU Pro costs. :+1:

1 Like

Cool, thanks I shall take a look.

1 Like

Back on this subject and I’ve narrowed it down to three, and to be Frank, I’d love for some one to just say go with X as I’ve been mulling this for some time.

Background - need a small format midi controller that has faders and transport controls.

The three I have on my list are:

Faderport v2

Fader fox uc4

Studiologic Mixface

I use ableton.

Any thoughts?

I have a Faderfox UC4 and find the faders too small and tightly-packed to be useful for much.

1 Like

What about Novation Launch Control XL ?

Lovely. This is just the sort of thing I need to know. I was concerned that may be an issue!

Too big I think. What’s the build quality? I’ve never been impressed with novations plastic builds before.

1 Like

The size & build quality are ok. You should try it in a shop.

Alternatively, I have a UC4 and find the faders just fine. I really like the integration with Live too, and find myself not really missing having a Push at all.

1 Like

I switched from Push2 to Launchpad Pro + Launchcontrol XL, perfect. The Launchpad Pro is really spot on and has nice sensitive buttons (not like smaller Launchpads, had a bunch of them). The Launchcontrol knobs are very robust and have a nice feel to it, they are actually my preferred controller knobs, compared to for instance Midifighter Twister or Akai stuff. Encoder vs knob is a matter of preference, the left/right limits are good for blind usage, you can feel the positions. Btw, no need for protectors etc like you need for Push, Maschine, Elektrons and the like.

1 Like

I was about to mention the Launchpad Pro as well. It’s the essential features of Push, just minus the screens and encoders. Add the Arsenal script by NativeKontrol, and it covers 80% of Push’s functionality plus some features the Push can’t do natively.

Thanka for the suggestions, however the launchpad is too big for the space on the desk, and I have no need for pads-Anything with faders is the requirement.

Launchcontrol is too big.

In all honesty, you’d get around 400-450€ for your Push2 on the used market, take away the 200-249€ for the options you mentioned and I’d say the 200€ you gain less the functionality and integration you lose doesn’t quite add up.

Something like the Behringer X-touch (Compact) MAY make sense for you (in Mackie Universal Protocol mode), but you wouln’t save anything or much going down that route. Just my two cents :slight_smile:

From the ones you mentioned, the Faderfox has easily the best build quality.

1 Like

This is also the case for me. But I’ve come to the conclusion that anything with faders is going to be too big. How married to faders (vs encoders) are you?

I was recently in the market for something to use with both U-He plug-ins on my MacBook Pro, and something that is class compliant with my old 1st gen iConnect MIDI USB host, for Octatrack use. I was close to ordering a Faderfox.

I opted for the MIDI Fighter Twister, which I got for $175, on an offer made after their president’s day $170 sale had ended.

Here’s why I went that route:

• 6"x6" is a nicely compact format.
    For reference, Launchcontrol XL is 9.4"x9.4".
    Faderfox is 7"x4"

• The color coded LED bars beneath each encoder makes having multiple functions more logical, especially when switching banks or trying to mimic complex functionality like Ableton Push. This will help with plug-ins like Repro-5 where I can dedicate 8 knobs of one color to the filter + filter env section, 4 knobs of another color for OSC mix and main volume, 4 knobs of another color for the amp envelope, etc.

• The different LED indicator modes, like the center detent, customizable per encoder, is very powerful for filters, EQs, pan, etc. I can’t get such configurability out of faders unless they’re motorized and those take up a good bit of space.

• The “Super Knob” function where an encoder can send a second CC# at a pre-configurable point of travel is both powerful for FX use and a unique feature.

• The fact that each encoder is also a button that can send a note # and/or be used for a secondary “push+turn” to send an additional CC# is powerful.
    LED bars can be configured to change colors during this action.

• Feedback of encoder positions to the hardware when changes are made in the software.

• The interface isn’t cluttered with anything else. No pads or additional buttons. There are 6 very small “bumps” on the side that function as bank buttons.

Anyway, mine arrives Monday. I’ll have more thoughts next week once I’ve set it up.

I would have bought an old Doepfer Pocket Fader if I could find one!

2 Likes

My point was that I wasn’t using half the functionality of the Push 2 - it was a very expensive transport control controller :smile:

I have considered the x touch but the size doesn’t work for me. That’s a shame, as I have the xr18 and the integration with them both would’ve been great.

The size of the faderfox and the rugged build definitely put it in the top three.

To be honest, it’s on my ebay watch list. I did think that a twister and a fighter could cover all my requirements, sans faders. I wasn’t aware of the bank buttons which could mean just the twister itself.
Then again, it was the faders I was missing from push, so I wonder if I went this route, if I’d end up just circling back to where I am today.

The pocket fader would’ve been my choice, if they weren’t as rare as unicorn puke. Built like a tank, small, and faders.

I’ll be interested to read your thoughts on the Twister when it arrives. Did you go for black or white? That’s the real question!