Puredata & Supercollider

I read about those yesterday. Looks a little too advanced for me at the moment, but I will remember tidal and Foxdot.

I’ve looked at the Organelle a few times since this adventure into PD. Before I knew what PD was, the organelle had no appeal, now it looks very interesting. I see people use it more for effects than as a synth?

I am no patching genius either, kind of an infant patcher. Yesterday was the first time I created my own patch from scratch and everything worked great, except freeverb~. it messes up Puredata something fierce.

PureData is really very powerful…I just can’t get past the unbelievably, staggeringly, shockingly bad UI/UX…
in the 90’s a terrible low res, imprecise half usable node interface might have been acceptable - but in the almost 30 YEARS it’s been available there has yet to be a modern, competent UI/UX overhaul.
there is really no excuse for it.
Houdini and Nuke have exactly the same workflow and their UX is so much better.
I’ve long had a side project to build a UI for PD that was a python/Qt app that steals all the good ideas from Houdini/Nuke and spits out PD files…but it’s in the middle of a long list. :frowning:

out of interest what problems were you having with freeverb? Are you stacking it and using multiple instances or just one?
I actually really like the sound of it - admittedly maybe not the greatest most powerful or advanced reverb but v cool all the same. I do like messing with the freeze mode - I made a patch whereby you can set and randomise a bpm switch to turn freeze on and off as audio passes through and it gives some great effects.

My Soundcard and PD do not get along. I’ve tried every solution under the sun to fix it but nothing has worked. Freeverb freezes up PD to the point it stops the audio & the entire program. I usually have to task manager force shut down PD.

I’ll have to check those 2 out! Thank you so much for mentioning them.

I could be wrong (I usually am), but that sounds a lot like the objective of Purr Data.

WAIT!
haha - neither Houdini nor Nuke are music programs (technically you can use Houdini for audio, midi etc), I’m just using them as examples of node based applications that are industry standard and very fast/easy to use (the node parts not the applications themselves).

AFAIK PurrData is just a clean-up of the various releases of PD - but using the same old embarrassing UI/UX.

many people say “oh, use Max it’s much better” - and while the UI is ‘better’ this is very much a case turd polishing.

1 Like

Oh oh. Okay, I am interested in Nuke, regardless of making music or not. You can use all of these programs fluently? That’s impressive.

Max and Pd are forks of a common source. Pd has a minimal UI, Max has added a lot of helpful eye candy, but it’s not hard to see through to the underlying commonality.

The visual layout is a data flow diagram. The “wires” can carry audio or MIDI data. The boxes are actually types: numerics, strings, symbols and objects, IIRC. Objects can draw a UI if they want.

Once you understand how the visual language works, it’s just a matter of understanding some of the basic objects.

1 Like

Maybe offtopic, just have this opened in the next tab. Was curious about Norns granular capabilites. How difficult it would be to convert this back to vanilla SC?..

mm… that seem’s quite strange for sure. I presume you’re on a pc with win 10 or 11? What soundcard are you using?

And this is just to illustrate my previous posts of experience with Pd - implementation of MI Clouds for Organelle. It’s not bad actually and is quite readable, but I dunno…

1 Like

Windows 10, Realtek. Asio messed it up even worse. Had to go into my registry and delete every asio folder, every Realtek folder, and uninstall the drivers in device manager. Was quite the fiasco. It’s only a 3 year old laptop, everything else runs fine. It’s just PD.

That wouldn’t even work on my PD. Too many sliders. :frowning:

Can I see this in action?

ok sorry that’s too bad!
I wouldn’t have thought PD would bum out like that unless you’re trying to run a huge patch.
I have a mac now and used to work on Windows. I spent quite a lot of time in the past endlessly tweaking things trying to get apps to run more efficiently - all I can do is sympathize which is a shame cos if it runs well PD can be a really fun powerful tool.

It’s a clone of eurorack module MI Clouds, there are example on YouTube. Btw this patch did not produce a sound on my Pd, but probably something very simple is missing (IO or “run” box).

src:

(This version in Organelle has only audio IO and about 8 parameters - correspond to squares with the text Screenline1, 2,3 to the right, but sound should be close enough)

I lost sleep over PD performance and loathing windows for a week. It’s a horrible OS, really is. I’ve had to dive into the registry for a bunch of things over the last 2 years. I am making the switch to Mac this year if all goes right.

I do love tinkering in PD, I am still grasping a lot of the concepts, formulas, objects, reading everything I can and exploring. It really helps with GAS. Very distracting though. Spent 3 hours today just making a whistler. I got a simple question. Is there a way to divide a metro? I’ve tried a lot of different things but can’t seem to get anything to work.

I just made this quick metro bpm divider patch for you in the hope it might give you idea’s how you could use it >

metroBPMDiv.pd (1.7 KB)

For running Organelle patches on a laptop to test them out you’ll also need the mother-desktop.pd. With regard to the post from @Moonwax above about the Clouds patch- yes, you’ll likely need to add an audio inlet or a file select node to stream a .wav file through the patch to be able to manipulate the effect … not 100% sure but I think that makes sense :slight_smile:

mother-desktop.pd (22.2 KB)

1 Like

I’ve used PD, Reaktor, Max, ChucK, and SuperCollider. I’ve had a little fun with all of them, but SC is the one for me. I love it very much and I find it easy to think in. To me, it’s the bee’s knees.

1 Like