PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Agreed. It needs a bit of study rather than throwing switches and I think some sell before they understand. I’m going to work through the manual. For example last night I read that the master pitch controls should be set near maximum - I’ve had them around 12 o clock so will try that today. Lots to discover but I think it’s worth it.

Lyra manual is actually pretty short. For this one, it’s not so easy to anticipate what setting will lead to what sound, which is the beauty of Lyra, its unpredictability. The Pulsar looks to me to be structured differently, so that I think the Lyra–while a great thing to have–isn’t really likely to prepare you for the Pulsar in any more direct way than the DFAM. More emphatically, the Lyra has no patch points, so something with patch points might be the better way to go if you have little experience with patching. Otherwise, I’d say general musicianship will guide you through the Pulsar, so I’d go for the pre-purchase that captures your imagination rather than buy something for a pedagogical purpose.

3 Likes

Do I need another drum machine?

Nope.

Do I want the Pulsar23?

Hell yes.

2 Likes

signed!

I’ve been recording it this weekend and one of the things it does that I don’t hear on synths is an almost acoustic texture - it’s own thing but akin to scraping a bow or plucking strings. Hard to describe but there for me. I would like to understand it better though. I’m playing it through AH2 which expands its potential and using a lot of volume fades and cuts on the mixer. Oh and a good reverb is essential.

1 Like

The Lyra 8 thread…

I posted a demo of the “Eno” and “Rumble” example patches posted by SOMA EU. Dialing in those sounds and then messing around was what got my learning started on the Lyra-8. But I’m a long way from learning everything there is to know about it. I’ve glanced through the manual and will probably learn something after I reread it enough times, but I’ve learned more from just playing with it. Play first, then try to understand how things work later seems to suit me; it’s the same on guitar for me.

One of my best friends tried my Lyra for the first time and came up with this sound that I never would have thought of, within minutes of playing with it. I took a photo of his Lyra settings, then recorded this improvisation with it:

1 Like

I wonder what the final price will be? :grimacing:

1500 Euro’s ex vat https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/soma-pulsar-23.html

That means I’ll feel 1500 € lighter when it’s out. :slight_smile: If the machine turns out to be as capable of surprising me as Lyra is, I don’t think the price is bad at all!

1 Like

it’s still marked as “estimated maximum price”, so lets hope for a little less :wink:

3 Likes

That looks like Schneider’s guess? As far as I’m aware there hasn’t been an official figure from Soma as yet?

and on sonictalk the other day Nick estimated 12 - 1500 euro.

I hope it’s 12 euro :smile: :+1:t3:

4 Likes

In the YouTube comments of the latest videos, vlad himself states that he is still calculating final production costs.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:t3:

let’s hope he makes white and black ones!

1 Like

Vlad confirmed in a YouTube comment that it will be orange and black for now.

“have not in plans white for the moment, but if enough people will wish it we will do”

4 Likes

im definitely going orange!

1 Like

Black

1 Like

black will look sick

1 Like

Definitely an experimental jam Vlad does there! :grin:
I think Vlad spoke of quantisation in one the demo vids. Can the triggers be tightly synced?

2 Likes