Pulling the trigger on A4 MK2 but thinking about

Hi

I play techno live with Ableton. Looking for a
Synth that can give a lot of options for performance. I’m also using a Digitak or an Akai Force, Microfreak and 303.

I liked the sound of the A4 over Digitone but have always had the Hydrasynth in mind.

Do you think I’m making a Mistake by getting then A4 over digitone and Hydrasynth?

Thanks
BZ

So you launch clips in session view?
You can launch different patterns on the A4 from ableton session view through overbridge
Has Performance macro built in and you can assign different kits to patterns etc
It’s a good tool for performance that’s for sure.
The Digitone can make some crazy and weird sounds that are good for techno.
Hydra synth looks good also but haven’t actually seen one haha.
Reckon They are all good synths, don’t know about mistake, 3 different types of synths there

No. Especially the performance mode is great for live performing. While it may be a little cumbersome to configure the macros afterwards you have 10 knobs each controlling up to 5 different parameters (from any track). You can go completely nuts with these 10 knobs without any menu diving during the performance itself. But it needs some pre-planning of course …

You can’t go wrong with either as at the end of the day you’re using Ableton to trigger everything. The A4 sequencer might be a hassle for you and its part of what you’re paying for with the Elektron boxes - the privilege of not having to resort to a computer and having the elektron workflow!

You could also ask yourself what do you like about the A4 sound vs the hydrasynth sound? Share some examples of the kinds of sounds you want to create. I’ve always started my search for a new synth based on being inspired by something, what I wanted to achieve and worked backwards from there. There isnt any synth that can do it all so its better to pick a few things you require and focus on those.

Appreciate you help. Went ahead with the A4. The sequencer is what I need most.

Thanks a lot. Went ahead with the A4

1 Like

Have fun. It’s such a deep machine.

I agree with you, the sequencer is key.

Appreciate you input on the process!

The nice thing about high quality instruments is if you decide you’re not feeling it you can always flip it and you’re likely to get most of your money back. I’ve personally never lost a cent on the high end used gear I purchased and later resold. My gibson guitars have always gone up in value after a year or two :rofl: better than investing in the stock market.

This is my only hesitation when it comes to buying anything from behringer, because its essentially so cheap and the refresh cycles on products are so short you’re almost always spending money on an expense vs something like a higher end moog or elektron instrument which is an asset and holds its value very well.