PSA: Model:Cycles price increase (US)

No, M:C launched at $299, M:S launched at (would you believe it) $449.

1 Like

even getting sy bits ported to the cycles would be dope.

a few cheeky hand me downs, no complaints here

1 Like

Gonna have to contradict you on that. More likely for them to create a unique machine. When it comes to sound at least, Elektron makes a noticeable effort to ensure each device doesn’t overlap. They wouldn’t wanna hurt sales of the Syntakt.

…Wait.

1 Like

my Spidey senses tell me a model os update is approaching.

my Spidey senses are always wrong tho.

timing was never a strong point.

1 Like

Hahahaha. You do have a point. Maybe we are going to get the 7th unfinished machine Ess talked about?

I don’t see them adding more than like 2 machines anyways considering the machine menu does not have that much space left.

Interestingly the M:C went up in price whereas the M:S went slightly down.

The M:C still seems to be fairly popular though, while the M:S just outdated and overpriced at this point … Might be why elektron are giving away some :smile:

2 Likes

May I introduce everyone in this thread to the Model:Cycles Feature Requests Thread

4 Likes

Wasn’t it $279 briefly ?

Lol my b

This is correct.

M:C review from 2020: $299 Elektron Model:Cycles review | MusicRadar

M:S review from 2019: $449 Elektron Model:Samples review | MusicRadar

You are correct. I think the issue is though $250 to $400 is approaching a different category of machine. And have they really added enough (or anything?) to justify such a hike. It was less than 2 years ago that it was at that $250 price…that’s a tough psychological barrier for people to get over, IMO, especially when there is a lot more viable competition in the $300 and below range these days.

3 Likes

The only significant update they added to the M:S is the sample lock feature but that was done super early into the release of the product.

At the moment the product is completely outclassed by the lofi-12 for half the price.

Hell for 400 - 450 euros you could get a second hand digitakt… The M:S price made it redundant.

1 Like

The internet says US inflation is 15% from 2019 to 2023 so that accounts for around half of the 300 to 400 increase. The other could be due to parts prices going up more than inflation due to the shortage.

1 Like

to be fair though if you need the elektron sequencer/workflow the lofi-12 won’t save you no matter how little it cost

I’m starting to think you’re working for Sonicware.

6 Likes

You have compare the prices as both new or both used especially with the recent inflationary (at least partially) price hikes.

I will still pay the Elektron tax for the long-term support, build quality, sound, and sequencer. It’s an instrument not a spec sheet. I’m sure the lofi-12 is a steal and great for people on a very tight budget.

Well that is the thing. The workflow is different, but lofi-12 has the exact same elektron sequencer that the m:s has. Parameter locks and sample locks included. It also has 10 voices polyphony when the M:S is strictly monophonic per track.

This isn’t even a fair fight when you consider the fact the lofi can sample, resample, has like 10 different effects, an arpeggiator, a line in, actual portability and is much cheaper lol.

1 Like

Customers won’t care about that. They will set up a budget and get the best product they can for the budget. And ATM on a 400-450 euros budget the M:S is behind a lot (all? By a large margin?) of different devices (including elektron second hand devices).

1 Like

yeah it has it’s version of an elektron-ish sequencer but the marriage between the seq and workflow on the L-12 is not the same as the MS… if you want an L-12 then of course the L-12 is the one, but if you’re seeking out the elektron mS workflow, the L-12 is not the ticket

it just goes to show that specs don’t encompass everything… I would also say that if someone is looking for that L-12 workflow that getting a model samples would be a mistake

i just received my m:c today (secondhand from reverb for $250ish).

while this opinion can certainly change, the initial impression is that it might not be worth $400.

it’s super fun to use, but without a requisite amount of ingenuity on the user’s part (especially when utilizing many machine/preset/parameter locks) the sound engine can be very limited.

if they provided some simple firmware updates that included keyboard scale/folding (it’s very clumsy to program melodies without an external midi keyboard) and another tonally-oriented machine or two (it’s balanced much more toward drum machine rather than groovebox), the heightened price could be merited for sure.

3 Likes

Exactly my feelings on the product. It has character, feels good to play. But the sound design is lacking, especially, as you stated, for more melodic/tonal sounds. But the good thing is, machines can always be added.

Compared to the M:S, an update could completely lift up the value of the product.

3 Likes