"proper" Techno on Model Cycles - techniques and tricks

Yep, i did sample some one bar loops from the mc into the ot, using the oto boum but also some of the ot fx. I’m super happy about how these loops sound, but i feel like i want another piece of outboard now, since the boum usually sits on the OT output with more subtle settings.

Also - I’m don’t like too much snares in my music, but i do like Techno with Big fucking snares, like ansome for example!

Thank you for the in depth explanation, really aprreciate it!
I will try it asap :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure he’s a samples guy, which is exactly what I’d recommend for decent snares.

This is why I have saved a few different good cymbal sounds that I’ve slaved over as presets. I can then tweak them a little bit (I think I usually just change the sweep value) to make them suit the particular track.

1 Like

I think the Cycles is better at longer hats and cymbals, as it’s the transient part of the sound that I have the most trouble with, it’s quite hard to get it to not sound a bit too plasticky.

2 Likes

I was super tired when I wrote that, and just fixed a few errors. So I recommend rereading what I wrote. :smile: Maybe I’ll post some pattern samples at some point.

I agree, it’s good for rides, splashes and even tambourine type sounds more so than hats.

1 Like

That would be amazing

Hardest part for me is to get the high frequencys right.
The Kick, Bass, Percussion, And Tonal Stuff is really easy for me, but getting a good hat/ cymbal loop going is what i find difficult, especially without processing.

1 Like

That is the weakest area of the Cycles.
The good news is that it can be pretty easily improved with a bit of external processing.

Having great results sampling the Cycles into the AR, for that bit of grit.

1 Like

Tone Machine for hats is a gamechanger for me! thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, I’m using the oto boum on the cycles before it goes into the OT, instead of using it on the OT out as a master compressor. this allows me to use more agressive distortion settings and the built in lowcut.

Thank you guys for the input, I’m having great results and tons of fun! <3

2 Likes

The M:C kick drum is pure techno goodness

1 Like

Best Elektron kick imo

1 Like

I think a good combo is Model Sample +Mode Cycle and use Model Sample for better hi hat sounds

grafik

1 Like

I had some luck getting hypnotic and dub techno sounds from the cycles, for example using the LFO to modulate the waveform of the chord machine in unison mode… but ultimately the lack of a filter and a second LFO kind of limits what you can do in those styles, a lot of the stuff you hear has quite a lot of effects etc. going on. Also the hi hats suck. But it’s a fun machine regardless!