Proper Overbridge Setup

What I meant only works if you don’t use Total Recall. It’s good if you only use device settings and patterns. Maybe I should fix my example. Creating a new project on device and reserving sections :
A01 - A04 = Ableton Project 1
A05 - A08 = Ableton Project 2
A09 - A12 = Ableton Project 3
B01 - B04 = Ableton Project 5

This way I can use only one project on device(s) to create up to 32 Ableton projects. It’s the most reliable way to use device settings in my opinion. Especially using “clock” allows immediate pattern changes. Then all you need is creating an additional MIDI track with OB channel 16 and send pattern change note. This requires to be a bit more organized on devices but it’s better than limits or untimely OB messages on the device.

The reason I decided to use device patterns and settings first was seeing that Total Recall message on device screen (do you want to use device or plugin settings message).

Regardless I’ll give a try Total Recall on a new project today. I’ll test it out further yet I just don’t want to stuck in a single kit, that’s it. Clearly 4 different device sounds (1 kit) is enough but who knows? That’s the very reason why I’m trying to ditch Digitakt and OT, and switch to push 2 : flexibility.

As for automation, VST channel is the best option it seems. Thanks

Oh ok cool, I wasn’t sure what you meant regarding 4 patterns per track…
Yeah total recall works fine with kits you just have to manually save them.

With elektron gear and overbridge there is so many ways to do things everyone seems to work differently :+1:t3:

Absolutely. Everything is good as long as there is a way to achieve what you want. My pattern reserve method is not necessary at all but at least it puts my mind in ease. I don’t have to load another project on the device whenever I switch to another Ableton project. And I don’t have to worry about 128 projects limit of A4 and DN anymore since I can have up to 32 Ableton projects per device project. So I’ll stick to it for now and wait & see what Elektron will come up in future :slight_smile:

just thought I’d mention there isn’t a limit on projects when using total recall
if that is why you are doing it that way…
The plugin saves the information in ableton not on the device…
It just asks if you want to load the plugin settings or leave it as it is without loading

I don’t really have any projects saved on the devices since I started using total recall…
It’s all saved in ableton…
Do whatever works for you, but just seems more work to remember which goes with what project etc

Maybe I’m missing something here. Yes Total Recall doesn’t require a project or pattern since it holds the entire KIT / Sound information in DAW project. But let’s say I want to create a new scene in ableton and change the kit or track sounds (DN). How do you do it? I mean creating / selecting separate KITs or sounds is doable but how do you switch between kits or sounds during playback from OB VST?

The kits are still linked to patterns with overbridge and with total recall…
You can send notes to channel 16 of the plugin and it will change patterns
so that also changes the kits because they are linked to patterns…

1 Like

Dammnn!!! I’ve just tried now and yes, OB holds entire bank and pattern info as well. Honestly I didn’t think it would be a possible. I’ve been thinking it only deals with current pattern’s KIT and sounds. But instead it saves entire bank and patterns with their configuration.

Only thing is just pressing Yes on the device whenever Ableton open an ableton project. Sync automatically on save help a bit with kits but it looks unreliable. Tried to turn on / off A4 and ableton project together for a few times, and sometimes I see that machine configuration is being used first instead of plugin’s. I’ll take a deeper look.

But anyway, I couldn’t be more grateful. Thanks for being patient with me :grinning:

1 Like

Yes it saves everything… I use it every time now I’ve never had an issue loading a project,
sometimes you have to wait a few seconds longer for the screen to pop up…
It makes life easier just save the project in ableton and switch everything off…