Project Lost : So Disappointed

Yeah, I’m trying to convince myself it was a button press or something; in not sure it was though.

This mk2 replaced my previous one which I sent to Elektron due to interface issues. I’ve had a couple of peculiar moments with this one! I don’t want to send this one back too.

I’m keeping a close eye on it and will raise a ticket if anything else weird happens.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, reading that again the whole project being empty does seem pretty bad, I guess I don’t know how that could happen unless you changed the project which would be pretty hard to forget… I’d be careful and if needed backup stuff you think is important before you power down until you know if the hardware’s OK. Maybe it’s the battery connection or something like that…

On another note, the one that’s gotten me most on accident is function+cue to reload part. Few times I’ve hit that without noticing or looking even and then all the sudden I’m trying to figure out why everything is different… :smile:

Edit: probably just saving project is good enough when I said backup…

1 Like

Saving everything is of course important, but this can also be a CF card problem.
So I’d get another one if I were you, just in case.

And backup the CF card every now and then is a good idea.
Maybe with a versioning system if you’re really into it (if you’re on MacOS, Time machine should work I guess).
Now that I think of it, I should do it :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah, just to reiterate that you don’t need to save things constantly on the OT. the only thing you should lose between power cycles is your recording buffers.

The only time I’ve lost work was before i fully understood the sample slot/pattern/bank/part stack, and re-used sample slots and parts in other patterns.

edit: +1 on trying a different CF card as LD mentioned above.

Yeah, I thought the Octatrack would recall it’s last state too; other than the buffers of course.
As mentioned, I lack a little bit of confidence in the machine following the strange behaviours it has elicited in recent weeks.
I’m really hoping it will settle and future updates make it even more reliable.

screw it i am so staying on 1.25e :rofl:

1 Like

Only the most recently saved part gets preserved in the buffer

:thinking: hmmm… Parts will remain after a power cycle… You don’t even ever have to save them…

1 Like

Apparently there’s something weird with parts saving, found this thread but I can’t really make sense of it:

Not done this with mine but I think now is the time. I take it you just copy and paste the whole CF to your hdd on PC.

Yep.
If you want to do it again month later, using a versioning system might save you some work ^^

1 Like

Ha. I remember pinning that down. Just read it through again and pretty sure it’s all correct. Not a bug or anything just a behaviour which won’t suit everyone.

The takeaways have already been covered in this thread - It’s like

@sezare56 replying to @jshell above (=part reloading can be activated easily by accident, losing your current settings :frowning: )

vs.

Someone like @Open_Mike who is looping and tweaking but wants to return to a certain state sometimes :slight_smile:

None of this explains your lost stuff though! Sorry to hear it & if I had any useful thoughts i would have waded in before!