Program Model Samples with Drum Pad (Roland SPD::One)

I’m considering getting a Roland SPD:One (Electro…not that it matters which model). I was curious if I would be able to use it to record beats into the M:S.

The challenge that I think I might have is getting each of the individual 6 sounds on the Elektron to trigger from the SPD which as far as I can tell either would send MIDI on one channel or all channels.

Experimenting with using a Beatstep for a similar purpose, the only way I managed to get this to work was to assign 6 of the pads on the Beatstep to 6 different MIDI channels, each that match a Track on the Model:Samples. Otherwise all of the 6 Tracks triggered at the same time, even if only one track was selected on the M:S.

Can anyone think of a working method that might allow the use of the single pad SPD to enter notes in the M:S by selecting the Track on the Elektron and drumming on the SPD?

The M:S can have all six tracks triggered separately using a single MIDI channel if MIDI Note numbers 0 to 5 are used for tracks 1 to 6 respectively. I don’t have a BeatStep but I imagine it can do this.

I couldn’t find any documentation about the MIDI output of the SPD::ONE. Presumably it will send a MIDI note message that can be recorded into the M:S.

Note that it only provides MIDI Out over USB, so you would have to connect it to a USB Host device (like a computer) in order to send MIDI messages to a M:S.