Program Change Pattern via Ableton launching after 1 bar

Any idea why the A4 takes 1 bar to lock into a pattern switch via program change from Daw? Tried Ableton and Cubase

You may have to select a different pattern jump mode on the A4. Function + Bang Group.

I tried the three different pattern modes, no luck. Still flashes for 1 bar after receiving Prg Ch msg before switching patterns.

try setting up a multimap pattern trigger then and use notes instead of program changes to switch patterns whenever you want :slight_smile:

Reading about Multimap in the manual (crazy addition). Currently away from the A4, but am I right in thinking if the keyboard multimap is set to trigger all patterns via keys you can’t trigger the trk sounds at the same time?

Also can you record note trigs via external keyboard to A4 Seq (remember seeing that with the A4 keys)

multimap input is always on the performance channel. (default 8)
you can then still use auto channel (9) or the track channels to record trigs!
and: you can now record p-locks by sending CC on auto or track channels.

Blimey that’s crazy good

Thanks Void!

I am having the same issue using the Multi-Map. I change A4 patterns via sending midi notes from Live, and I get the flashing LED (1:4) for one bar then the pattern kicks in on my A4. Also when I switch patterns via Live, the current A4 patch keeps playing for 1 to 2 bars before changing. I have tried all 3 modes, sequential, direct start and direct jump, and I cannot get any to work properly. I am getting so frustrated, if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. I want to use Push for all my A4 pattern changes.

Thanks guys.

are you sure ? - i can’t, just contacted support 'bout this - no recording on track channel of cc info, just auditioning !

yes, no never actually tested this :slight_smile:

Hello Everyone,

I’m experiencing the same issue as the original issue mentioned in this post.

Basically - When I use MIDI program change from Ableton Live 9 to launch Analog Keys patterns, no matter what I do or how I set it up, analog keys always plays the previous pattern one more time until its end, and only then switches to the pattern configured by the MIDI program change.

To further clarify - Ableton is playing a 4 bar clip, while analog keys is synced to ableton, playing a 4 bar pattern. If I trigger a different pattern from the Analog Keys itself, it switches perfectly according to the Direct change Mode currently configured (start, jump or sequential). However, if I launch the next clip in ableton within which I configured the Midi program change, Analog keys will not change the pattern straight away. It will show the new and the previous patterns’ names flashing alternatively on the LCD screen, will play the previous pattern one more time until its end, and only then kick off the new pattern from its beginning.

I went through all the other posts in the forum that mentioned this issue and tried every thing that was suggested but nothing provided relief.

Troubleshooting I have tried include:

• switching between the Direct change modes in analog keys.
  • All possible combinations of midi configuration in the analog keys (transport receive program change receive etc.)
  • setting up the midi clips with program change to be not looping and not to be quantizer (per recommendations on another post in the forum that addressed this issue).
  • Altering the Midi clock sync delay in Ableton.
  • creating patterns in various lengths.

Purchasing the Analog keys, my main intention was to use it as described, and it is unbelievably frustrating having such a hard time getting such a simple thing done.

I would appreciate your help.

Jonathan.

When you say you tried all three pattern modes (sequencial, direct start and direct jump) you mean the CHG MODE parameter in your multi map entry right?

Because the pattern mode you set by pressing the Function+BankGroup buttons does not change or affect the setting you have in your multi map.

Have you guys tried changing the number of steps under the CHANGE parameter in the scale settings ? I know it used to put me off several times at the beginning.

Any updates on this issue?
Does direct jump work with program changes from Live

Have you tried legato mode in the ableton clip ?

I tryed it now myself, sending on channel 8 for the multimap, i have set external trigger, and c0 => a1 , but i cant see that the sequencer jumps anywhere.

Ok, after further playing around with it , it works now, i can directly jump from pattern A1 to A2 for example while playing directly. (I set direct jump.)

Any solutions? Having the same problem with Octatrack program changes to the analog keys, which makes it quite impossible to use the analog keys for a live act…

Use Multi-Map mode, works a treat. Pattern mode changes to sequential

So setup a midi track in OT that sends a note corresponding to the pattern you want it to change to. I just have a dedicated MIDI track that the 1st note is fully microtimed to the left and it corresponds to whichever pattern I want. It affects nothing on the A4 when the A4 is already in that pattern, but when it isn’t it’ll flip right fast. Takes a little fiddling about, but once you get it you get it.

So setup a midi track in OT that sends a note corresponding to the pattern you want it to change to. I just have a dedicated MIDI track that the 1st note is fully microtimed to the left and it corresponds to whichever pattern I want. It affects nothing on the A4 when the A4 is already in that pattern, but when it isn’t it’ll flip right fast. Takes a little fiddling about, but once you get it you get it.
[/quote]
I’m having a similar issue. Program Change messages from my OT seem to always ‘queue up’ the next patter on the OT, rather than playing it directly. Like many of you, I tried the ‘direct start’ mode, no joy. The funny thing is, the other Elektron boxes don’t have this problem at all… rytm and MnM are just fine with switching.

Is everyone 100% sure that multimap and midi note with a tiny pre-delay is the only way to get this to work? Seems like the A4 has a bug.

Okay, this is getting strange: When I have the OT playing a 4 bar pattern and the AR / A4 are playing a 1 bar pattern, it works great. All devices follow the OT 1:1, pattern is the same everywhere.

The only time the A4 has the queue pattern behavior is when I have a polyrythmic sequence (ADV mode).

Would multi-map solve that?

I have the same problem in OT+A4. OT is master. Sometimes when I’m changing pattern in OT it changes in A4 after one bar.

I will go on experiments, but now this problem doesn’t solved.