Program change input

Hi, I try to figure out why my octatrack mkII is changing pattern only with program change 3 and 4 but not with other program change messages. I checked Octatrack is receiving the midi message, the midi program change is ok, but it doesn’t change the pattern.

Welcome to the forum!

I expect that this is caused by your settings for the patterns that are not changing. If you look at those patterns and their settings in the SCALE SETUP menu (manual pages 78-79):

• are you using NORMAL or PER TRACK mode?
  • if the latter, what have you set for MASTER LENGTH?
  • if MASTER LENGTH is set to “INF”, what have you set for CHAIN AFTER in the PROJECT > CONTROL > SEQUENCER menu (manual, page 36)?

You should also check what you have set for the SCALE MODE setting in the PATTERN SETTINGS menu for your patterns (manual, page 75).

Thanks you for your message Peter. It appears that I was misunderstanding my midi device (an alesis trigger i/o), I thought it was sending the program change on channel 1, the channel I configured, but it was actually sending all the program changes on channel 10 except program change 3 and 4 that were on channel 1. I tried to set program change channel to channel 10 on the octatrack but it was receiving all the change except 3 and 4, then I set the Octatrack to receive program changes on AUTO channel and set the auto channel on channel 10 and everything works fine. I assume that program change 3 and 4 are also received since channel 1 is used for track 1, but I feel I am still missing something… Can you confirm? Thanks again

If everything works fine now then there is no need to worry and you can ignore my previous advice for now.

If you are still having problems then set the Program Change receive channel number to 10, and always send Program Change messages from your controller device on channel 10.

1 Like