Processing R channel stereo samples

I’m working through a sample pack preparing it for my M:S. Some of the samples are in stereo, and some of those have most of the sound on the Right channel (there may be some data in the Left channel, but it is very quiet). I know the Elektron Transfer app will automatically convert these samples to mono, and I believe it only keeps the Left channel. Is this a situation where I should sum the stereo sample to mono? Or extract the Right channel as a new mono sample?

For either of these solutions, is there an easy way to batch process it?

I literally just tonight downloaded Audacity for the purpose of batch converting a load of stereo samples to mono. It’s free and it’s a very easy process to do.

Go to macros. You can insert new functions. Insert “stereo to mono”, and then also insert “export to wav” and then select “files” and select all files you want to convert. When you execute it, it will create a new folder within the original folder that contains all of your converted wavs.

You can also get it to perform multiple functions at once. Just make sure “export to wav” is the last function it is executing. For example I chose to normalize as well as convert stereo to mono and it did everything in one go. Saved me many hours!

2 Likes