Problems sequencing and recording MIDI Tracks

Hi there guys,

I’m having some trouble regarding recording and sequencing MIDI tracks from a DAW to Digitakt(Ableton 10).

First let me walk you through my setup:

1. Digitakt connected to Ableton thru USB and running OB 2.0
  2. DT Midi out to Quadra THRU
  3. Qudra THRU connected to the rest of my gear
  4. Midi channels are set to the trck number (Sound 1…8) (Midi 9…16)

The way I set this up like this is to create my songs on Ableton and have the possibility to record everything on the DT to later on preform it live without a computer.

Ableton triggers channels 1…8 perfectly, but DT seems to not get notes from Ableton to MIDI Ch’s (they don’t light up when running midi notes in Ableton). I’ve tried the same setup but instead of connecting DT to the computer through USB connecting it through MIDI and it works perfectly, MIDI ch’s recieve notes from Ableton and pass them to my other gear without a problem BUT i want to be able to use OB 2.0.

Also, It looks like I’m not able to record any midi through USB to the DT. Tried with MIDI cable and it worked just fine.

Anyone knows a solution for this? Or is this just possible using MIDI cables and not using USB + OB 2.0?

Did quiet a lot of research but couldn’t find any topic having this exact problem, sorry if there is and I didn’t find it.

1 Like

Up!

Digitakt receives MIDI On channel 14, not sure how to break it out to receive MIDI on the individual track channels.

Have you tried using the VST?

Not really sure If I get your point…

DT recieves MIDI in every channel, not only 14. As far as i know 14 is by default the autoch, meant to be used to play whatever channel you have active.

You should be able to play all tracks at same time (track1=ch1, track2=ch2 and so on)

But… I don’t see a connection between this and the problems im having

not sure either, have you tried using the VST?
It’s possible the Sequencer only records from the Auto Channel, you may be able to use the VST to get it to behave differently

Alariamusic - FWIW I have had the exact same experience as you. Ableton > USB midi > Digitakt does not seem to work, but Ableton 5pin midi (iconnect2) > 5pin DIN > Digitakt is fine. I’ve no idea why. Mac Mojave Ableton 9. OB latest beta, Digitakt latest beta. I presume it’s a bug that they will sort. Otherwise all is lovely.

Yes, everything looks to work just fine expect for this, and its really pissing me off :joy: I guess I’ll have to work things around on a different way.

Btw, channel 16 for Pattern change is only working thru usb and not thru midi :man_facepalming:t3: Anyone had this issue? Any other way to make pattern changes?

Having this same issue as well. I can’t seem to get any MIDI information to / from the Digitakt into Ableton using the USB connection.