Problems Clock Syncing External Gear to Ableton via Overbridge

Hey everyone!

So I recently picked up a piece of modular gear (Make Noise 0-Coast) and I’m having some great fun finally getting to use the CV capabilities of my Analog Four.

There’s one problem I’m running into though and it’s rather strange. I’m trying to sync the clock of the modular gear to Ableton, but it’s working very inconsistently. If I output the clock signal and play the A4 sequencer, the clock sync works perfectly. The problem though is that if I set the A4 to follow Ableton’s clock via Overbridge, the A4 will correctly follow Ableton’s clock, but now the modular won’t properly sync to either the A4 or Ableton.

It seems as though the timing is right, but there seems to be an offset to the clock pulses. Sometimes it works well whereas sometimes it’s pulse on the off-beats and whatnot.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It’s strange, because if the A4 clock runs independent of Ableton, everything works well, however using Ableton to drive the clock pulses throws the whole thing off, even though the A4 syncs to Ableton perfectly.

Any input would be great. I don’t mind if this is a bug, but if there’s a way I could fix this, I’d love to know.

Thanks!

• Charlie

SYNC is one of THE COMMON SUBJECT.

Keep Overbridge in Sync Mode Clock and on top of that :
Tried to SEND clock by midi cable from A4 directly to your 0-Coast

It should be ok
Sometimes you can have glitch more in clip mode. Session/Arrangement mode in Ableton is better for that.
In clip mode set the looping on 64 steps and your clip in Ableton on 4 bars (16 x 4 = 64) or at least on the same amount you set on the A4 maybe it can helped too

Otherwise there’s Sync Solution which put everyone (computer and hardware) on a master clock. It rock solid but it’s more money to spend.

?

People repport good results with :

1. a well working association between Overbridge and computer brand + specifications
  2. ERM Sync Solution
  3. Innerclock Sync Gen 2 (software support is alive but The product is no longer manufactured)
  4. SND ACME 4

There’s other solution but i mention only the one i know or see or have myself as working solution.

You can buy cheap solution and use a MIDI box thru it working nice but you simply can’t drift multiple clock that’s it… Multi CLOCK is more powerful but also more expensive of course

For instance on ACME4 :
Advanced Clock Management Engine
the ultimate in musical clock generation & manipulation

• The only device we know of to generate a MIDI master clock that is 100% jitter-free
  • Derives a highly accurate MIDI clock from any audio recording system
  • Analog 16th-note triggers can also be used as clock source
  • Generates 4 separate clock streams
  • Each clock stream has its individual MIDI output. 2 streams also generate 24-ppq signals (“Roland sync”), while the other 2 provide clock and reset signals for analog sequencers and arpeggiators.
  • Each clock stream can be time-shifted in relation to the master clock, in extremely small increments as well as in 16th-note steps. The fine shift, too, follows tempo changes.
  • In addition a constant fine offset can be set for each clock stream to allow compensation of technical latencies.
  • Each clock stream can be set to double or half tempo, and can be turned on and off without loosing synchronicity.
  • A swing or shuffle factor can be set individually for each clock stream. The swing pattern can be the same for all 4 streams, or it can be a different one for each. A software editor for these patterns is included.
  • All functions have dedicated controls, so they can be “played” without staring at a display and poking around in submenus. Calibrated center clicks on all pots allow instant nulling.
  • Complete settings of all controls can be stored and recalled. All parameters can be remote controlled via MIDI.
  • Like all SND products, the ACME-4 has been designed with great attention to detail. The 32-bit risc-processor ensures lightning-fast reaction. High-grade components (gold-plated jacks, switches, and push-buttons, sealed Alps potentiometers etc.) and a rugged metal casing ensure decades of reliable operation.
  • Size: 217 mm (width) x 160 mm (depth) x 68 mm (height), powered by USB or external supply

Price: € 840,- + VAT & freight, 5 year warranty
“a dream”, “has changed everything” (San Soda)

ahh…ok, Wiliam…yes, I know those, would add Usamo, seems to work for some constellations as well.
But was first searching for ‘Sync Solution’, as I thought, I missed something new (-,

2 Likes

Right Expert Sleepers comes a lot too speaking about SYNC solution.
But it’s not standalone as well i guess, it’s working with a software to generate the clock. Seems like ERM and ACME4 are the only one to working with AND without a computer so the midi pulse is also generated from the box itself.

Using Usamo with Logic X … and it´s so far so good! Yes you need a computer and an audio interface with an extra audio out. The Usame generates the clock from an audio channel. So it´s rock solid. But when you start your DAW it´s always needs 1 bar to start the Usamo clock … I guess because the Usamo is listening for the clock before send out the sync.

Another solution would be to send out a clock via 1 of A4 cv outs. So you also have a kind of clock devider in your A4 … you can set the clock devision to 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, …

How do you record the 0-coast? Do you use A4 ext inputs or are you going to your sound card with the 0-coast? That could also be the problem because your sound card has another latency then A4 with overbridge. In that case you can easely adjust a midi clock delay in your Ableton midi preferences … or use A4 ext in to record the 0-coast.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the A4 external input so that shouldn’t be adding any latency from my soundcard.

Just to clarify everyone, it’s not just latency or a delay I’m talking about, but it seems something more of a complete bug.

First off, none of the lag I’m talking about it with the audio. Obviously the audio is lagging as well, but you can visibly see that the clock pulses themselves lag by around half of a beat.

It’s strange because, like I said, the A4 sequencer syncs perfectly to Overbridge and the 0-Coast syncs perfectly to the A4 sequencer, but trying to put those two things together to sync the 0-Coast to Ableton completely falls out of sync.

It’s not even a constant delay, but it fluctuates.

To give an example, I can see the clock pulse on the 0-Coast perfectly on time the second I start the A4 sequencer. If I then try to start the A4 sequencer via Ableton and Overbridge, rarely will it ever trigger the clock pulse the instant I hit play, even though the A4 is playing perfectly in time with Ableton.

hm strange! Now I understand what you mean. Never worked with the A4 to send CV clock out but can test in the next days.

Send midi clock from the A4 midi out to the O-Coast midi in via a standard midi cable to the O-Coast midi breakout cable. You will need to adjust the settings in the A4 so it is sending midi clock out.
The A4 should be clocked perfectly to Ableton via overbridge, which in turn should clock the O-Coast in perfect sync with Ableton also.
O-Coast audio coming in through the A4 external inputs should now be perfectly in sync with the A4 audio for recording via the overbridge plugin in Ableton.

1 Like

i’m having the exact same issue as you. it seems the analog four as well as the analog keys ( I have the keys) has an issue with sending the clock signal on time when in overbridge mode. t0o bad :confused: