Problematic first trig on MIDI Tracks with Program Changes

Hi all - hoping someone may be able to help with a problem I’m having. I am trying to program MIDI tracks with Program/preset changes from one pattern to the next and having some difficulty. I’ve tried this with two separate instruments and have the same problem, which is this:

On the SYN1 page, I am setting the PROG value for the preset that I want to activate in my MIDI instrument. However this MIDI message is not sent until the instant before the very first note in the pattern sequence is triggered (this is understandable since you can P-Lock the PROG value and change it for each trig). The problem I have is that this first trig’s note is not playing correctly - depending on the instrument, it could “chirp” like it is not getting a full note duration, or in the case of my Nord, it is still playing the prior pattern’s preset sound for that initial note. It is almost as if there is not enough time for the instrument to react to the PROG change and then the incoming MIDI note. After the problematic first trig, all subsequent notes are played correctly. That is, until I change the pattern again, and the PROG setting changes - and the problem repeats itself in the new pattern/sequence.

I have been through the manual several times and even hooked up my ipad with a MIDI monitor. I can see the PROG change immediately followed by my triggered note in the monitor. And since this issue only affects the first trig to play in any pattern, I’m a bit stumped.

Summary:
Pattern 1, PROG 1, Trig 1 note is bad, Trig 2+ notes are fine (Note 1 is fine if the sequence loops back around)
Pattern 2, PROG 2, Trig 1 note is bad, Trig 2+ notes are fine (same as above if loops)

Has anyone had this problem or possibly any advice for me? Thanks!

move your first trig over a notch with microtiming. not a great answer, but it may be one of your only solutions (another is to write music for the nord that doesn’t use trig 1?). some synths can’t change programs and play a note at the same time.

Thanks for the idea - I did try this already unfortunately but what it does is shift the micro timing of the Program change as well, because it is tied to the trig not the start of the pattern.

And also unfortunate, it’s not just my Nord but happens on others too, for example even a soft synth on my iPad that I tested with - I originally thought perhaps it was a Nord thing.

(Update Feb 2019 - this is not universally true - I got a Novation Peak and retested this, and it changes programs just fine. Must be my Nord and slow iPad. )

Bummer. Yea that’s part of the Elektron way, everything is tied to the “trig” - it’d be nice if they found a way to unshackle some midi data (PC, mod, pitch) from the restrictions of a step sequencer, and have two “lanes” of midi data, one for notes, and one for continuous controllers. It doesn’t seem like MIDI clock is bound to the the trig, so that may be a blueprint for how to properly implement PC for elektron. I’m sure by putting some resources into it they could figure it out. I mean the Cirklon guy did, and he’s just one dude.

Some synths work ok with PC + note on the first trig, at least with the digitakt. perhaps digitone is different but i’d be surprised.