Problem with Pattern Change Length when slaved to OT

I’ve got the OT sending PC so the patterns are linked.
I usually have long patterns on the OT which is the master, so I set the patterns on the OT to be chained after 16 steps regardless of the pattern length.
I make the same settings on the DN patterns, but they still wait for the end of the patterns. This happens only when it’s slaved to the OT. If I play the DN alone, it will switch after 16 steps as I would expect.

I don’t know the DN sequencer…just AR…not sure if DN and AR are same iterations…but the OT and AR share different iterations of Elektron sequencers. In their respective advanced modes they start to miscommunicate.

Try setting up the DN pattern in advanced mode…keeping everything at 16…and then setting the CHNG parameter to 16.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I do.

1 Like

The DN is in advanced length mode too? Shoot. Idk then.

The DN is in “sequential start”?

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean, sorry.
What I can say is if I trigger the patterns on the DN (manually), they wait 16 steps instead of the pattern length, as expected.

It should work, I do it the same way… OT master the rest change 16… maybe you have something set wrong… if set to inf it won’t change correctly though

1 Like

Yeah ok. I don’t know the DN sequencer so I’ll step out. Good luck.

1 Like

That’s weird. I just tested sending PC to the DN with an external device (in my case, a Zoia), and the patterns correctly switch after the end of the current 16 steps.

A precision : The DN pattern switch is always 16 steps late. Or it’s in time when I trigger the next OT pattern during the last bar of the DN pattern.

Writing to the support.

I’m back.

Yeah it’s super weird. The main issue is that the OT sequencer does not have the direct start capabilities that these new ones do (which, I must say, is an awesome feature…awesome). The work around is the pattern length parameter. BUT the new ones don’t read the PC signal like if you changed it on the units themselves…they read it late…so then you have to wait.

I don’t get it. And I’ve been meaning to write support about it. So let us know what you find out.

1 Like

That’s not true. When I trigger PCs manually from my Zoia, the DN behaves properly as I would expect (switch after the current 16 steps regardless of the pattern length).

I meant they read the OT PCs late…not really late, but as if you had just sent it which would then change after the designated time…you would think it would work like direct jump but it doesn’t…

1 Like

Well, if this is true that sucks.
The only solution would then be to trigger PCs from an external device for both DN and OT.

Or, maybe this works if the DN sends the PCs to OT (with the OT still as a “master” sync), and I would change the patterns from the DN ? Let’s try this…

1 Like

Totally agreed.

OT does not like being receiver.

1 Like

Could you list minimum steps needed to reproduce the issue?

2 Likes

The good new is that it works this way : DN sending PC to the OT instead of the other way around.
Still not satisfying as the MIDI IN port of the OT was used by a MIDI keyboard. Need to figure this out.

2 Likes

Yep,

On the OT :
Create 2 patterns A01 and A02, 64 steps long, Per Track, with Pattern chain to 16/16. Master length is 64 (but will be ignored).
This makes 64 steps patterns that you can however switch every 16 steps.

On the DN :
Create 2 patterns A01 and A02, 64 steps long, Per Track, with “CH.LEN” to 16/16. M.LEN is 64 (but will be ignored).
This makes 64 steps patterns that you can however switch every 16 steps.

Set the OT so it sends PCs. Set the DN so it receives PCs. Set the OT to be the master clock.

When you switch patterns on the OT, DN patterns are not always in time they are most of the time 16 steps late.

2 Likes

Yup. That’s that shit. Even just reading it stresses me out.

I’ll write them too, let them know there are a number of us.

@sezare56 I hope you can find a way out…

What do you mean pattern chain 16/16? Do you mean track scale?
Or chain behaviour in pattern settings : use pat set 16/16?

I mean on “Pattern Settings” page : Scale Mode per Track, USE PAT SET : 16/16.

1 Like