Presonus ATOM SQ

Look very cool with Studio One 5 !
https://www.presonus.com/products/ATOM-SQ

3 Likes

Had the Atom and as a controller with S1 it was really nice, as a midi controller on it’s own it lacked.

The SQ looks awesome though as a daw controller!

2 Likes

I was looking at this last night.

I’ve finally come round to having a small Hybrid setup and thinks this looks great for my needs.

1 Like

From what I read, there is no sequencer inside this gear. But it have a perfect integration with patterns editor in studio one. The start/stop/rec button are just control button for the DAW.

I wanted to buy ATOM, but I think I will wait for this.

2 Likes

I think that’s a surprisingly interesting little device - and not so closely tied to Studio1 as you might expect. The screen looks to be really useful in simplifying and making it intuitive - I especially like the various scale modes and how the keyboard lights up in each mode. Being able to add a sequencer to standalone and Live modes would be a killer update.

The biggest pity is that it’s USB-C only. Having midi connections (would need to be the mini connections) seems to be the biggest omission to me - that simple hardware addition would’ve made it pretty essential in my estimation.

2 Likes

As a heads up, zzounds has these in stock. I ordered mine last night and it shipped this morning.

5 Likes

Did you get it ? Worth it ?

The biggest pity is that it’s USB-C only. Having midi connections (would need to be the mini connections) seems to be the biggest omission to me - that simple hardware addition would’ve made it pretty essential in my estimation.

I assume you mean DIN MINI connections and not mini ?

In any case, very few controllers in this price range and size have DIN, understandably.

Since most people will use it with a computer and those who don’t simply need to add a USB host which there are a pile options to choose from.

1 Like

I meant the mini midi connections that use a dongle like the Model Cycles/Samples or Microfreak that are increasingly common. Indeed, you wouldn’t even need to use the dongle if you were connecting it to another device with mini midi (presuming no issues type A or B).

Yeah, I get that there are options there but every additional piece of kit you need to get your connectivity working just adds a little opportunity for complication and less portability. It’s not a major thing and not a deal breaker by any measure. As it stands, it’s an interesting product and one I might consider at some point… that additional connectivity would’ve perhaps tipped me over the edge to putting my hand in my pocket!

1 Like

Ah you mean the 3.5mm trs adapters, yes that of course would be an option and certainly not that hard to fit.

However personally i do not like them as they are bulky, i rather have full size ports if possible.

But considering the Atom is still a controller and not really a sequencer I can see why they opted for the USB MIDI only, still would be nice with some options!

It does look really nice, and as a controller for someone who work with a DAW as well as some hardware I’m sure it would be a very nice controller!

1 Like

I’m not too experienced with working in a DAW so I’m not sure how much my opinion is worth. I’ve only tried it out in S1 since whenever I install Ableton Live, I can’t get S1 to properly mount my audio driver.

The overall quality is solid, I think the pads and knobs are great. There’s a ton of functionality of course with the little screen and the user buttons. I feel like using the screen is a little clunky most of the time so I haven’t gotten too in depth with it but for me the pads, knobs, transport buttons and other shortcuts are enough.

The pads are great for drumming but using them as keys feels a little strange. You have to be a lot more aware of the velocity of the hit. It can be fun for bass lines and melodies, but a little challenging with chords. I’m sure it just takes a little more getting used to.

The only real negatives that come to mind are that “off” notes on the step sequencer are dimly lit, but bright enough to make it hard to clearly see what’s going on. Also, the “control link” setting for the modwheel seems to be missing for me, but both of these problems seem to be easy to fix.

If you want a unique compact controller, I’d say it’s well worth it.

Rating:
it’scool/10

4 Likes

Has this little controller ever received a firmware update? Has anyone tried it with a UCB-C iPad Pro? Curious to hear people’s thought on it in 2023.

1 Like

I purchased one recently and I have been really pleased with it. I think this controller is slept on.

The size is perfect, giving enough room for keys and kk=nobs AND a screen which is what sets it apart from many sort of similar controllers. I use it with Ableton and the integration is really nice. It does the Blue Hand thing perfectly, and has a read out on the screen for device banks (but not the individual parameters, unfortunately).

I coincidentally tried to out last night with my iPad Pro, specifically Drambo, and it was a good/solid controller. The sequencer is only integrated with Personus Studio, which is a shame. It can be configured from the device itself, unlike MANY controllers out there, which makes it really flexible.

The keys can do Velocity, Aftertouch, AND/OR Poly Pressure, the latter which works REALLY well with instruments Ableton.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

3 Likes

I use it with a USB-C iPad Pro and the iPad will power it with no problems. I’ve got this adapter which lets me plug in the Atom SQ, the Apple usb-c to 3.5mm adapter and power if I want

USB C to USB C Female Adapter USB Splitter Y Cable,(NOT for Monitor) USB C Male to 3 USB-C Female Cord Converter,3 USB C Port Hub Charger Power Split Adapter for Mac,Xbox One Series X/S,PS5,Laptop https://amzn.eu/d/2RFkIqK

2 Likes

Actually didn’t kno it did the Ableton thing, this could be on the list now👍

2 Likes

If someone in the US needs one of these hit me up. By accident I ended up with 2 of them so I have a brand new one that’s just been sitting here in the box that I’d be more than happy to let go of for 50% off.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reflections, appreciate it. A question: is it possible to set the “continuous” scale mode to chromatic when in MIDI mode, so that a row of pads can function as 16 sequential drum pads for use with an iPad or external gear? I.e. sequential note numbers including all the sharps and flats, all on one row (and then the next 16 on the second row)?

1 Like

Yes, just did a very quick test using Drambo as a glorified MIDI Monitor (lol). When “Pads” is set to “Continuous” and the Scale is set to “Chrom,” the bottom rows glows blue, the top row glows green; the bottom plays pads 1-16 chromatically, starting on C, the top row plays pads 17-32 chromatically, starting with E (because Pad 16 will play D#).

The octave and root note can also be set on the Inst Page.

1 Like

Cheers, thanks for checking. I was hoping it operated like this.

I’ve been using the Atom SQ with Ableton using the control script. Assigning the touch strip behaviour is odd - you can’t do it when you’re in the Ableton mode, you have to do it beforehand. And assigning the touch strip to control Mod Wheel doesn’t seem to work at all. If I disable the Ableton integration it works fine, but then I lose all the extra control. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution?