Preparing samples for digitakt

Hi, just wondering if people treat their samples before sending to the digitakt? Been watching the Dave mech tutorials and he puts a high pass on his hats. I’ve been doing that, just curious as to what other people do?

I’ve needed to do much less of this since the base width filter was added.

2 Likes

I sometimes EQ them, (multiband) compress them a bit or layer them with other samples.

And all the basic editing like cutting silence from the start / end.

But with the newer EQ’s, base/width filter and master compressor on the DT I mostly do this on the device itself now and resample. Much more fun :slightly_smiling_face:

(And with the latest DT OS 1.30B there is no more distortion with the parametric EQ’s: Digitakt 1.30 : Bug reports - #191 by maerteijn)

Nope, just throw it in their straight from the source

1 Like

Forgot about the base width filter! Yeah definitely more fun on the digitakt.

If I am just making a “dawless” jam, I usually don’t prepare my sample beforhand.

However, I like to start a project in a DAW without gear at the early stage, only focusing on the global music arrangement, with basic drum programming. Then I “re-sample” the samples used in the basic “drum tracks” of my DAW project into the digitakt to use the sequencing and mangling power of the DT (p-locks, probabilities etc ).

I like this wokflow : it allows me to focus on drum programing in the DT without thinking about the arrangement (which is already done), brings life and diversity to a track, have samples and loops already cleaned up and prepared

1 Like

Do someone care about the length of the samples?
Sometimes, with pads or textures and with long samples in general I try to cut them correctly to match the length of the bar (or loop) and to avoid clicks.

at most I will trim them down a bit if I am trying to focus a part of a longer sample, but yeah pretty much anything I am trying to do with a sample I can pretty much do in the Digitakt

yeah resampling is a cool way to integrate with a DAW and keep the workflow, plus I have always found that once I start messing with samples pre-loading into the Digitakt, I spend ALL my time messing with samples and never get to what I was trying to do…

1 Like

Yes,
A friend of mine does this starting with some scenes in ableton and then resample in the octatrack.
His process is pretty long, but It is very enjoyable and creative.

1 Like

Sometimes when I do field recordings, I like to first cut or edit these very roughly in Audacity, and then load the resulting cuts into DT, then there I start the real fine turning/mangling process.
By resampling directly in the DT, you can achieve a lot.

In my world, preparation generally leads to prevarication so much as it pains me, I find the best way is just press ahead with the task of making sounds sound like music

Does the octatrack have a bass width filter?

Yes, but the Digitakt has a base-width, as well as a multimode filter.

The OT has a base-width multimode filter. You have two (or more via Neighbor) effects tracks, so you can stack filters if you are okay with taking up all your effects slots, or using a neighbor track.

Also, did anyone else notice that the filter comes after the amp in the DT block diagram? I found that interesting.

I never noticed until you said it but that is indeed different from the other Elektrons. Now I’m curious why this is? :slight_smile:

Is the Dave Mech tutorials a good place to start? I want to start simple. Probably sampling and trimming sounds from my Pocket Operators.

The only reason that I could think is that the filter doesn’t self-oscillate. From what I’ve been told, the only reason that you typically see filter-first is so that you can also play the filter. Maybe it saves the DT some computing power to have it second?