PreenFM 2

That’s very kind but I generally dont sell stuff :slight_smile: I can suggest people who do though! It’s a hobby for me and I build for myself… but I do keep a website of my designs and builds :slight_smile:

www.batguitars.co.uk

Ps The preenFM2 and FM3 are really easy builds… especially as Xavier only sells assembled pcbs (with all the surface mount parts soldered - not that they’re hard to do yourself but…)

1 Like

Ps - I should say that I really really like both of them ! The sound design is great and there’s also a program you can run on PC/Mac to edit the sound. Although it’s not bad actually on the devices.
If you go for a PreenFM2 I’d suggest getting one with the latest version of the DAC and an LCD screen (doesnt look as nice as the OLED but there are high frequency noise issues on some people’s OLED PreenFM2s).
But, really, I’d just go for the 3 - more powerful (more voices), nicer screen, individual outputs. Better sound than the earlier FM2s…

Yes that function is amazing, different ‘patch’ every time!

I’ve only spent an hour or two with it and of course most of that preset scrolling. The menu system starts to make sense though, and I like the sound - probably as a complement to rather than replacement for my Volca FM, they are quite different as people have said.

I got mine from VanDaal electronics in Estonia - just emailed on the off chance and he happened to have a few, his service was great. I had it in <24h to the UK :slight_smile:

https://vandaal-electronics.com

2 Likes

I got mine from Ardi @vandaal too and also had no issues. He has given excellent support (as has Xavier through the forum). It is more expensive than building it from the kit, but a good option if you are like me and have no confidence with DIY. The other thing to consider with the FM3 kits is that there is no pre-built case at this stage so you need to factor that in.

With the current firmware the FM3 is fantastic and I can’t believe how much functionality is packed into it. I had a few issues with the display freezing in the first couple of firmware iterations but this has now been fixed. The 6 separate audio outs alone is enough to justify the upgrade over the FM2. Or do what @frosty_raver did and get both!

1 Like

The other thing is you dont need a kit - just get the pcbs… :slight_smile:

(I actually got the fm3 very early on so built an fm2 - it’s crazily cheap to build yourself - at the same time as the fm3 wasnt stable at the time :slight_smile: )

I note the docs say:

pfm2 has 8 voices with 6 operators / 14 voices with 3 operators FM algorithm.

Is that 8 voices per instrument or 8 voices across the whole synth ? Sounds like it must be per instrument, but if so, that’s an incredible spec.

Can anyone throw some light on this ? I thought I’d come across a new little synth with a Karplus Strong algorithm in it … but on closer examination it appears to be a Preen FM2 screen with a patch named “Karplus Strong”. So

• is it likely to be “just” an FM patch ?
  • or is there some Preen FM2 firmware with Karplus Strong algorithm ?

Soundcloud link with screenshot -> KarplusStrongDemo by John C.S. Keston | Free Listening on SoundCloud

His email address is on his soundcloud bio — drop him a line?

1 Like

Thank you … didn’t notice … thought I’d get a quicker reply here, but having email makes a difference.

Here’s a thread where he talks about it, starting from the bottom: Show Posts - keston

1 Like

Excellent research, thank you. I googled for Karplus Strong and Preen FM2 without any luck.

Hi all, anyone with a preenFM willing to ask the burning question I got:
I know it’s different from a dx7 and that most patches sound vastly different, but how does it handle the 1st ROM of the dx7? Those patches are pretty well known and I can’t find a vid of the preen handling those.
I’m talking about classic brass, epiano and karimba’s! Even the bass!

Keen to hear more!

I have one of these on the way, the euro module version. What sold me is being able to do panning at the operator level and the random functions (this YT video was really impressive…)

I intend to midi control it from the Pro2, and have it’s assignable CV outs going into the four Preen2 ins.

3 Likes

I really like the Preen series. the 2 and 3 are awesome.

1 Like

Try negative panning values on the “new” unison mode. Blew my mind. Some crazy shit. A real shortcut to fucking up a sound in a really usable way.
I love my Preen . Considered getting rid of it recently, and then when I didn’t I spent a few hours just focusing on programming it and realised again how much I rate it. It’s such a great gui. I would only get rid of to upgrade to a preenfm3 .

1 Like

Sounds promising. Have u loaded in any DX7 patches? I am considering a preenfm3 when they get available since I miss FM. But I like the Volca FM sound and I couldn’t get that out of the Digitone easily.

Yes I have. It’s easy enough to do there’s a specific menu option to do so. Works well with some sounds and not so well with others as (I think this is correct-but you should check from someone who knows what they’re talking about) there are subtleties to the way the FM works with each (there’s a description on the forum somewhere I’ll see if I can find it)
The DX relies heavily on the feedback circuit … the preen doesn’t need to as it has many waveforms and you can even load user waveforms (someone on the form has extrapolated the TX81Z waves which I have loaded in mine and which are great)
I mean,., they’re going for ~£150 now and honestly if you’re even considering one I would suggest buying one and then reselling if you don’t like it. The number of filters/waveforms makes it an extremely capable 6op FM synth by anyone’s standards. It doesn’t sound particularly like a DX7 (in some areas at least). But it can go much further than the limitations of the DX7 .
When I first got mine I loaded a lot DX7 patches… but honestly so many of them are trying to emulate real instruments… and what I wanted it for was FM synth sounds… on that basis I quickly got tired of scrolling through marimbas and ended up just starting from scratch with the raw preen patch. It’s actually very nice / straightforward to programme thanks to a well thought out approach (notwithstanding its great pc editor)

3 Likes

Here’s the thread that @bambrose mentioned: How does DX7 conversion work?

I went from the FM2 to the 3, and found the FM3 is even better to program as it gives you a visual display of the envelopes. The other big thing the FM3 has over the 2 is the 6 separate audio outputs.

2 Likes

No love here for the mk1 :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Cool, yeah I don’t have a mixer yet, might get one if I part ways with the OT.

So, can you help me understand if it can reach dx7 sonic potential without the feedback gen

I am looking for the sweet FM sounds and want to steer clear of tooooo much harshness.