Power Connection Problems

Sounds like the right solution for the wrong problem

If the OT was repaired by an Elektron repair centre then they wouldn’t necessarily have taken or used your PSU, but your OT would have been powered up with a PSU that worked

It does sound like your PSU is goosed in teh way mine was - so they wouldn’t be repairing or testing that - meanwhile you’d be needing your OT to get its PSU barrel (probably) tested and fixed

I’m not sure having your OT sent in is a sound plan - but if that’s what they suggest based on your explanation then run with it i guess - it does seem a little odd though to ship an OT when it seems more likely to be just the PSU

• ps presumably Mk1, that’s what those numbers above relate to (wrt 6v 3a)

I found out that 3 of the connector wires on the PSU board where complete loose, not soldered at all. I used the device for 1 1/2 year and never had any issue but then the OT reboots or loose power very sporadic. The warranty was over so i fixed it myself by resolder the wires & ac-port, now it works fine again. See attachment for the wires, i soldered it from the lower board side & used high quality silver solder & flux pen.

I reported it to Elektron and now will see if they come up with something because the price of the OT wasnt not cheap as a slice of bread.

2 Likes

I didn’t read through the thread but I bought an mki from a friend and any movement of the OT would reboot it. I ended up taking a risk and slightly squishing the tubular power adapter plug with a pair of vice grips (as you can set their closed ‘depth’ by tightening them over the plug’s end, remove the plug, and then tighten them just a hair more) so I didn’t accidentally totally smush the thing. It hasn’t done it in a year since, but your mileage may vary. For me, it was obviously just a loose contact at that specific point.

I was super bummed at first…

I got reply from Elektron, they just say that they are happy that i had fixed it and offered me a free soundpack. Thats hilarious but yeah, seems the common way of pseudo positive tech support. Buying a device for 1500€ with a factory issue and get this answer it’s a joke, even when the warranty is over.

I’ll take that free soundpack if you don’t want it