Portable synths thread

I was experimenting with a magnetic rack for quick swapping my desktop devices.

I emailed Sequential to ask if they thought putting magnets on an Evolver could damage it.

A tech emailed me back saying that he was initially unsure. So he pulled out his own Evolver and tried a different bunch of magnets on it without issues.

Now that’s customer service!

BTW: the rack system worked out great! I picked up a new USB C power bank and I’m going to do the same thing to mount it on my SP-404.

2 Likes

How about Roland SH-4d? Around the size of a laptop with small midi controller, 4 part multitimbral + separate drum track, hands-on, polyphonic, battery powered, standalone, wider sound palette than boutiques or compacts…

Or just use laptop+daw if you’re fine with it. That con that you mentioned isn’t really a con, is it?

3 Likes

Oh definitely better reverb. Like, for instance, you know how the Spring reverb on the original sounded bad on normal tracks, but good on the master due to being in stereo? It sounds great on anything now. Not to mention the Mother reverb is pretty flexible and sounds fantastic.

I’m not sure about how well the og works with ipads but op1f is pretty flawless!

1 Like

Haha yeah I was just being cheeky. It is of course a viable option. I actually have been thinking about putting together a laptop based live set again (or even a DJ set?!) just to see how it feels to play from something with totally limitless possibilities. It’s been around 10 years since I played a fully live set from a laptop.

https://www.modernsounds.co/

I’ve been taking a Modernsounds Pluto with me when I travel. Battery powered, tiny and a lot of fun. Not easy to come by though sadly…

1 Like

there’s some cool stuff on tindie.