Portable Battery to Power Elektron

yeh most things are centre positve these days but always good to double check

Hows setting the voltage? Easy enough to keep on 12v and will stay on 12v setting during power cycles?

Yes. I set it up one time and now itā€™s still on 12V. Really handy, I used it with ARmkII, A4mkII, DN (and keys), AHmkII, Nord Drum 3P, OTmkII, Erica Synth Picosystem III and even a Moog Matriarch (and a Grandmother before that)

1 Like

I use exactly that one. Itā€™s perfect. And yes, keep an eye on the remaining charge.

iā€™m a bit confused about battery specs, DC vs AC and power banks that donā€™t specify voltage can someone clarify for me?

Octatrack needs 12V at 2A.
Digitone needs 12v at 1A.

I see powerbanks that specify 12v 2A and have DC outputs and theyā€™re usually more expensive. Hereā€™s an example: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07PKSBS7J/

This should be able to power an octotrack or digitone no probem I believe.

But then I see other powerbanks which are usually a lot cheaper that seem to indicate that you can use them for 12v 9v or 5v at different amperages, like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08JD4F2JG/

This one should power a digitone but not an octatrack because it gives out 1.5A at 12V?

And then I see some that donā€™t mention the voltage at all, like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00X5RV14Y

it says it automatically adjusts the voltage, but how do i figure out if it gives out enough Amps?

And I thought USB only gives out 5V?

What do i need to know so that I can not get the wrong thing?

Thanks!

1 Like

For those of you in the EU, this worked fine to power my live rig (OT, DN, DT, midi hub, H9, and Twister) for 90 minutes. It says 45W on the link description but 100W on the product page.

I hope it keeps the runtime up over time, the reviews arenā€™t all positive.

3 Likes

So not quite on topic but this is a bewildering subject!
Want to take my SP-303 on a camping trip next week. Got a case for it and a shedload of samples plus a field recorder. Now I need power!

SP-303 takes 9v DC 1000mA tip negative. Assuming itā€™s regular Boss 2.1mm barrel.
What power bank and USB>DC cable would I need - one of the ripcord ones?

1 Like

How did you plug this amount of gears on it?

Simple power strip:)

However in the future I want to figure out DC power for the entire rig. Converting to AC and back to DC is inefficient and very bulky (power strip, cables, PSUs etc.)

I donā€™t really understand how you plug your gears. For example, how did u plug the OT and the H9?
sorry iā€™m just starting to dig into power bank.

I used the included normal power adapters plugged into a normal power strip.
The battery has an AC outlet like you find on your wall at home.

can you recommand me a powerbank for 9V 1A? this is for synth, delay pedal and my soundcard.

Anyone know what the power draw of the Rytm mkii and Four mkii is? I have six outlets available on a Cioks DC7 that outputs 0.5ma at 12V per outlet so Iā€˜m wondering if 1.5ma at 12V would be sufficientā€¦thanks!

I just received the new Sandberg All-in1 Laptop Powerbank 24000. I have 3 Elektron devices that require 12V at 1 or 2A and it should be possible to power all 3 at the same time (potentially even up to 5!). Thereā€™s a 2.1mm DC out port that support 12V at 4A, so with a DC splitter and 2.5mm adapter you can power two Elektron devices. The two USB-C ports support PD at 12V/3A each. And the USB-A supports 5V at 4.5A.

It also has power through ability, so if you plug it in, it will provide ~45W to the power bank and assuming your devices connected use less, keep the power bank topped up, so it can serve as an 2, 3 or even 4-in-1 power supply for your devices as well (you do loose either the DC or one USB-C port when in power-through mode).

So you should be able to use up to 5 12V outputs at the same time - if you get a DC splitter cable, a pair of Birdcord PD USB-C -> 12V adapters and one USB-A to 12V converter (Birdcord or Ripkord) youā€™re looking at a total of 5 Elektron devices!

All this is theory, as Iā€™m not sure if it can distribute enough amps at the same time on all ports and if the power through works as well as I hope, but Iā€™ll be testing with my OT, ST and DNK once I get the DC splitter cable I ordered and report back here if anyoneā€™s interested.

2 Likes

Okay, this is more or less OT MK1 specific, as OT MK1 uses a 6V/3A PSU and that makes it hard to find a solution, where as the other modern Elektrons have more plentiful solutions already available.

This looks to be a possibly great solution:

https://a.co/d/5sXcbzx

Some screenshots of the promo video shows the output DV voltage as programmable in increments of 0.1V, and starting all the way down at 3.3V.

Iā€™m pretty happy with my Raptic TitanAC outlet battery, but it is much bulkier (and requires the OT PSU) so this might go in my Christmas wish list.

Hey.

How was the Sandberg? I was also thinking of buying this to power my ARmk2.

thanks!

[I donā€™t recommend this any more. see below]
I highly recommend this INIU 25000mah powerbank + birdcord PD 12v for any fellow European folk who donā€™t have a huge selection of banks to choose from (amazon wonā€™t deliver batteries to my location).

this bank + cord is the bizniz. PD on this one delivers 3A @12v. perfect for the birdcord. cost around ā‚¬50 delivered direct from iniu.

[EDIT: I was getting lots of crashes with this so Iā€™ve stopped using battery packs altogether. not sure if itā€™s the battery or birdcord]

2 Likes

Did you figure out if the crashes were from the external power?

yea, havenā€™t had a single one using the elektron psu. I donā€™t have another power bank to test so unsure if its the bank or the cord is the issue.

1 Like

I only use batteries with a 12V DC output. I would not trust any USB port to deliver peak amperage.