Portable Battery to Power Elektron

Anyone know what the power draw of the Rytm mkii and Four mkii is? I have six outlets available on a Cioks DC7 that outputs 0.5ma at 12V per outlet so I‘m wondering if 1.5ma at 12V would be sufficient…thanks!

I just received the new Sandberg All-in1 Laptop Powerbank 24000. I have 3 Elektron devices that require 12V at 1 or 2A and it should be possible to power all 3 at the same time (potentially even up to 5!). There’s a 2.1mm DC out port that support 12V at 4A, so with a DC splitter and 2.5mm adapter you can power two Elektron devices. The two USB-C ports support PD at 12V/3A each. And the USB-A supports 5V at 4.5A.

It also has power through ability, so if you plug it in, it will provide ~45W to the power bank and assuming your devices connected use less, keep the power bank topped up, so it can serve as an 2, 3 or even 4-in-1 power supply for your devices as well (you do loose either the DC or one USB-C port when in power-through mode).

So you should be able to use up to 5 12V outputs at the same time - if you get a DC splitter cable, a pair of Birdcord PD USB-C -> 12V adapters and one USB-A to 12V converter (Birdcord or Ripkord) you’re looking at a total of 5 Elektron devices!

All this is theory, as I’m not sure if it can distribute enough amps at the same time on all ports and if the power through works as well as I hope, but I’ll be testing with my OT, ST and DNK once I get the DC splitter cable I ordered and report back here if anyone’s interested.

2 Likes

Okay, this is more or less OT MK1 specific, as OT MK1 uses a 6V/3A PSU and that makes it hard to find a solution, where as the other modern Elektrons have more plentiful solutions already available.

This looks to be a possibly great solution:

https://a.co/d/5sXcbzx

Some screenshots of the promo video shows the output DV voltage as programmable in increments of 0.1V, and starting all the way down at 3.3V.

I’m pretty happy with my Raptic TitanAC outlet battery, but it is much bulkier (and requires the OT PSU) so this might go in my Christmas wish list.

Hey.

How was the Sandberg? I was also thinking of buying this to power my ARmk2.

thanks!

[I don’t recommend this any more. see below]
I highly recommend this INIU 25000mah powerbank + birdcord PD 12v for any fellow European folk who don’t have a huge selection of banks to choose from (amazon won’t deliver batteries to my location).

this bank + cord is the bizniz. PD on this one delivers 3A @12v. perfect for the birdcord. cost around €50 delivered direct from iniu.

[EDIT: I was getting lots of crashes with this so I’ve stopped using battery packs altogether. not sure if it’s the battery or birdcord]

2 Likes

Did you figure out if the crashes were from the external power?

yea, haven’t had a single one using the elektron psu. I don’t have another power bank to test so unsure if its the bank or the cord is the issue.

1 Like

I only use batteries with a 12V DC output. I would not trust any USB port to deliver peak amperage.

That’s kinda reasonable, because the USB spec is way too loose in this regard.

Personally, I trust some reputable manufacturers if they’re generally known for consistently delivering high-spec devices. That list is small tho’.

Even better, makes the choice easier :wink: This thread is long since 10 years when a small list of reputable batteries could just be pin pointed at the entrance :wink:

Now I use an inexpensive Ultron power bank made in China for sale German along with a custom adapter cable from hi-fi components and this, in addition to portability, turned out to be an inexpensive way for me to improve the sound of my Elektron DIGITONE device. Loved him again!

Hey thanks for all the helpfull info. Sadly tge links are down. I look for a cheap solution for my machinedrum. Where can i find a small powerbank for that?ravpower still
one of the cheapest options?

I am from germany so i got 2 pin power cable with my md but there was a 3 pin uk adapter with it. I am total noob with energy so far i just took it from the wall. XD

For those of you into park jams (when it’s warmer outside), I just wanted to share my discovery. I was able to power up my Digitakt & Octatrack mkII using a battery used by the Soundboks portable speaker. That should provide 100wh, which is plently of jamming time. For the dc plug I used a small adapter to adjust for the smaller sized electron dc socket.

Hardly can wait for the spring!

Bought this battery from GP but now I feel confused…

It has 3A but only for 5V?

So it wont power an Octatrack that requires 2A at 12V?

it does say 12v at 1.67A in the selected text
each voltage value of a power bank has its own amp rating

Thanks for confirming!
That’s how I interpret it after looking closer. Should’ve looked carefully at the details before ordering :slight_smile:

I’m wondering about this ripchord “combiner” cable too?

I’ve got a 12v myvolts that works great for octatrack and big usb battery, but just tried it on rytm and it’s not providing enough current.

Has anyone got a working solution for battery power to analog rytm from a usb battery pack? i’m reluctant to buy a bespoke 12v battery just for this!

ah ok answering my own question, sorry for the noise, this claims it’ll do it, usbc birdcord

1 Like

just make sure you battery pack offers ‘PD’ charging for the birdcord cable.

2 Likes

I got 2 Ripcord cables 12VDC to power my Digitakt and Digitone and these work like a charm!
I love that with ripcord I can also power my devices by using a normal usb charger plug (which makes travelling easier).
I have a valve pedal that runs on 12VDC, but the ripcord doesn’t have enough power to power it. I think the limit is that Ripcord can provide 12Vdc at max 1A.

I also got this powerbank: