Pops in slice mode

Hi

Has anyone else been getting pops?
I saw it was supposed to slice on a zero crossing, but I’m still getting pops.

Is this to do with the quality of the input material?

What kind of sample is it? Slices of a longer bass loop? Or single-cycle? In the former, you may have the transient of the next slice in there, in which case you can adjust/resample the sample or shorten the slices.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s from a longer loop:

I’m guessing transients are the issue then.

Is there an easy way to quantise loops so they’ll play more nicely with the slice mode?

The waveform of your example show that it does slice at zero. But maybe that’s not enough for a very low instrument that’s not rich in overtones.

You could try to adjust the amp envelope (less attack, more release).

5 Likes

I get pops when a slice end is cut by another slice…
(Obvious with a bass sample too)

1 Like

Pops

in slice mode

26 Likes

Oh yeah, there’s some real swing in there. On the DT itself, the easiest way to get entirely on grid is to use one-shot mode to pick out your slices, then put them on the sequencer and resample a set length. Not ideal, I know, and maybe not in the end better than working with p-locks in one-shot mode…

2 Likes

You can have pops with well prepared slices, if a slice cut another one.

You can get rid of pops with LEN and AMP, but in that case you can’t use longer length or looped slices and trig conditions, probability.

1 Like

What if you use the LFO to smooth out the start of the sample? I haven’t tried this yet but I’ve been thinking about it. I also have pops in my sample slices. I thought about resampling and doing it again but I feel that’s a waste of time.

If you’re using sample chains and it’s not working you might try putting the individual samples into @brian3kb digichain web app and see if there’s still an issue. He’s ironed out a lot of the typical slice issues.

Interesting. Thank you. I will look into this.