Polyphonic drones on more than one track

Don’t know if that have already said. If so, forgive me :slight_smile: … But i’m so exited.
The facts :
I have made, long time ago, several kits on my MnM that were oriented drone music. Often using MnM on mono mode that permit to program 6 differents sounds to make evolving long drones (on each voice/tracks, the Amp page dec and rel are on 127)
Toonight, for the first time I loaded one of them, and trig notes on polymode, to ear if a chord on one of the 6 track(/drone) sounds was relevant or not.
Trig a first single note on the first track. Then a second to ear it in chord, and let them evolve. And suddenly had the idea to change track selection, and trig a third note on an other sound, and a fourth, and the new chord (on the second track) staked with the two primarily notes (chord) triged. Then I trig two other notes on a third tracks, and they joined the first two tracks.
Finaly, I had three chords of two notes on three tracks/sounds evolving together. Oh what a nice surprise.
So we can have chords playing on differents tracks, assuming the fact that they necessarely are drones. But that was my initial aim, no ?

So I can’t help share my discover with you, happy pocessor of a MnM. I was already happy to use MnM like drone machine, but now I have a powerful drone machine (specialy with ensemble instruments !)
How what a night !

7 Likes

My plans for the weekend will be to try this. :grinning:

nice nice nice!
Thanks for sharing this…MnM is a synth that will be with me forever

Whoa, gotta give this a whirl!

this mostly works! sometimes not, still dont know why. maybe some machines are more stubborn than others :wink:

thnx elena!

actually, it works with upto 3 tracks (upto 6 notes in total, stupid me:).
just leave each of them to run at least one pattern before changing to another to ‘fill’.

Yes.
I find that a three notes chord drone is already well occupying the sonore space, if well designed.
But now you can sustain and controverse it with wether two solo drones or an another chord of two notes).
That’s why I call it a drone machine.
The limitations are :

• you can’t use the sequencer,
  • the parameters of a track, when been tweaked, control all the tracks. That may be annoying if you put desorder in well programed track sounds. But if took in consideration during the elaboration of the track sounds, it can act as kind of ctrl all.
    Nevermind. I still love this ability and it brings me lot of fun
1 Like

that’s right, it’s like ctrl all. heh funny!

it amazes me that after all this yrs we still can find new things…and not small things. to me, this one was a biggy

1 Like

I said that sequencer was unusable (mainly because when its runing in the poly mode, it prevent the stacking of the tracks, more precisely it seems to limitate it when the sounds are Amp/Dec/Rel at 127). Classic/normal.

But in fact, the sequencer is interesting, cause it permit a real evolution. If you carefull use it, you may make a drone piece very evolving, with drastic moments and quiet ones that cohabite well because glue by the coherence always kept of the 6 sounds. You have always a reference or a flavor that gives the drone piece a good unity.

The sequencer brings all its possibilities to manipulate the overal sound, even with live recording of tweaks (triglocks that you can change in live to create évolutions).
You can stop it and launch it at discretion (no tempo problem with drones) so it provide a total mastering of the 6 tracks drone machine.
Very fun moments.