Polyend Play

Man, not sure how to feel about this, in one hand the updates are great, but as others have said the business model for OG customers who purchased the original in under 1.5 years sure stings, $400 to update is abit much, $200 would have been an easier pill to swallow.

As for the updates, the inclusion of synth engines and usb audio are great additions, but if they were updating the Play, why haven’t they made some quality of life updates to the sample engine, like adding a full adsr envelope for samples, adding polyphony and additional sample playback engines?

and why on the Play+ do we still have to use use 3 or more tracks to record a chord? (if not using the pre-programmed chord list) Surely they can implement the ability to only use only a single midi/audio track for this, say you create 2 synth parts with 7th chords, thats all your midi tracks used up?

8 voices of polyphony for virtual analogue synths in 2023 is a tad stingy, the Novation Supernova/Nova had like 16 and 6 part multitimbral or the Nord Lead 2 had 20 and 4 part multitimbral back in the lates 90’s.

I’m not just having a go at Polyend for this, because Elektron are guilty for exactly the same, forced unnecessary restrictions on their gear.

The deluge’s polyphony is like 64 voices and was developed with whatever CPU they used back in 2016, I hope these areas can be improved upon giving the Play+ 5x CPU power of the OG.

1 Like

I was thinking if they decided to beef up the sampling side of things with ADSR, loop points, polyphony and filter envelopes - and some option to quick load & loop a single cycle waveform, they wouldn’t have needed these “synth” engines at all.

And would have managed to kill two bird with one stone.

Heck, even the Model:Samples makes a pretty good stab at this IMO

2 Likes

Is it possible to sequence the internal synth and bounce that, and use it on a drumtrack as sample then?

It can’t sample anything, internally or external. It’s a sample player

1 Like

Yeah, it can’t resample like the Tracker unfortunately, maybe they’ll add a feature in a firmware update?

I see, would be good for it.
Would be cool if they could put a drum synth for that purpose into it too.

They do have more synth engines in the works, so maybe one of them is sample based? maybe a 2osc sample engine, where you can load Single cycle waveforms or other samples like in the Deluge.

Are you sure about that?
You can export stems to wav, right?

WTF Polyend, what are you doing…?

First, the mk1 / 2 / 3 for the Tracker, each time with cheaper materials + all the dodgy wheels + a firmware so buggy that they remove feats as they go along instead of adding new ones.

Then, a Mini with better specs but back to shitty hardware…

Now, a Play+ released with absolutely unacceptable conditions for the previous users…

Way to go!

11 Likes

@dzyndzel you’re famous now

4 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with that.

I think the superiority of the metal back PT thing is just hype.

I have a plastic one and it’s really nicely made and I think the jog wheel problems were more common in the earlier ones.

1 Like

I am disappointed with Polyend :disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

Don’t know if it’s any consolation but they’re going to continue updating the original Play.

1 Like

Just wait until the Play+ Field colab is announced by TE on Thursday. Hell will break loose.

Yeah, I had a mk3 as well and nothing but good things to say about the hardware (much less about the firmware, unfortunately). But it is kind of worrying that they had to go through 3 versions before solving the wheels / materials problems. Lots of users had broken wheels during the mk1 & 2 lifecycles. I mean, c’mon, it’s not a highschool project or prototypes. Common sense suggestes that you try the fuck out of the product you release BEFORE you release it.

Edit : what irks me the most is: you can fuck up one product and learn as you go along. Not ideal, but the last years were not optimal for product dev. But first batch of Minis is AGAIN full of defects.

Mmm so they withheld the real 399 upgrade price from him.

Good on Loopop for being empathetic to the OG play users. Massively respect him for being so transparent.

As for Polyend, I feel there should be laws protecting consumers from being misled in the way Polyend misled their customers.

Said it earlier in the thread: getting strong pump and dump vibes from Polyend

6 Likes

Now a “+” version??? It’s like they don’t know what they want it to be. The + version still only has knob labels for the sampler page. Seems like they should have divided it up into 2 or maybe even 3 devices: a sampler, a MIDI controller, and then a synth. Could have had one device with one page, with proper labeling. Doesn’t make sense. :grimacing: Because the hardware and some of the concepts stand out, but the final product is a head scratcher.

1 Like

Just to be clear, is this your understanding of a shill?

shill

an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others

8 Likes

You didn’t state it as an opinion but rather as a fact. And to suggest something like that as a fact without actual facts and it in fact being untrue is simply toxic.

He likes polyend stuff and gets their gear for free. That we know. So yes he is biased. So what ? You can still either check a video and get informed or eh not.
So here we go: I’ve gotten the play and now play+ from polyend as well. No strings attached. I don’t need to make a video. Completely my choice if I do or not and what I say in the video or not. Do I like it? Not sure yet. Haven’t had the time to touch them yet. If I make a video it will be a demonstration rather than review, but still, in this case, am I a shill just for having received these units and if I am maybe positive about them ?

It’s okay to share an opinion but to paint someone in such a bad light is actually hurting someone and in this case it’s also pretty obvious that is not based on anything other than his bias towards polyend gear. Which is not the same as being a shill at all.

He doesn’t pose as a customer, he clearly states every time he gets the gear for free and was asked to do a video. You could maybe say he is an external marketeer for polyend that works for…free…. Not a shill.

28 Likes

The problem people are having is not with Benn(although I do think he could have shown a bit more empathy towards users like Loopop did, he is free to whatever he wants).

Benn does not deserve the hate and threats he’s been getting.

As for Polyend, they 100% deserve to be called out after misleading customers.

The fact that they also chose to misinform Loopop is disgusting.

3 Likes