Polyend Play

I’m the same actually - it’s quite nice to hear that someone else has the same problem with it! For drumbeats, it’s a fantastic starting point for almost any track you might work on. After that, baselines and melodies etc… it’s quite difficult to start jamming.

However, sticking a load of melodic samples (in the same key) into the ‘Kicks’ ‘Snares’ ‘Hihats’ folders, then using the beat fills and other randomisation features can result in plenty interesting happy accidents and stuff that you’d never ever program on your own.

If someone offered me £600 for it though, I’d bite their hand off.

1 Like

Today i synced it to midi clock the first time and it was lagging a lot. I thought it was my setup but apparently it’s the new firmware.

Edt:
I tried it with os 1.2 and its still not on point. What i found out is that the lag time differs for each recording. OS 1.2 and OS 1.3. The first recording lags and the next one is almost on point. And so on. It’s not consistent.
I checked with my Roland T-8 and there’s no incosistency there. Strange…

1 Like

i’m using the e-rm multiclock and having to put a 28 msec offset to get things lined up with 1.3, and an offset of 2 msec with 1.2. seems kind of consistent with this setup.

2 Likes

Quick question for play owners/experts. Can the audio tracks also send out midi signals? I’d like to create generative music (random triggers/values) and also send midi values out that match the randomness being generated by the audio so that I can then use those midi signals to trigger and control visuals.

I haven’t tried this, but the latest update allows you to Copy the Audio Track and paste into the Midi Track…but I don’t think any of the modulation will work…you will need to redo all of that for the Midi Device…but I may be wrong.

I figured that might be the case. Thanks for the response!

It actually seems like the models: boxes and analog rytm are among the few boxes that will send out midi notes for your audio tracks.

With this new Tracker coming out how are you guys feeling about update timeline for the Play? I’m really hoping this isn’t going to get abandoned like some of their previous products.

I don’t think they abandoned the play they mentioned they are working on a couple of cool melodic feature which are coming after the recent midi update.

os 1.3 just came out

3 Likes

Yep. Play Firmware 1.3 - Play - Polyend Backstage

1 Like

Yeah, I guess I mean in the long term. I just wonder how far they are going to push the development of the Play. I’m really hoping we get a lot of added features.

1 Like

I’m not expecting much of an improvement for Play.

Not bashing Polyend, but I ending up trading my Play for a Digitone and couldn’t be happier (I know they are two completely different products).

The final straw came when all of the feature requests I suggested (LFOs, more effects etc.) were closed due to technical and/or hardware limitations.

Such a shame because the Play has the potential to be brilliant. If used solely as a drum machine it’s outstanding.

3 Likes

I think most of the automations we are requesting can be similarly accomplished with the performance effects per step. It’s a different way of thinking.

My main annoyances are about sampling and the lack of sample editing or recording. I’m waiting for the melody tools to be released and I’ll decide from there.

2 Likes

Just to be accurate, the request about LFOs was indeed closed because of technical limitations, but not the one about effects.

1 Like

That’s why I’m still subscribed to this thread.

Ah yeah, that’s true, I remember now.

Bit of a ball-ache to write a new request per effect though if I’m being honest (and lazy) :rofl:

1 Like

Been faffing about with Play this past weekend, sequencing drums on it then using the MIDI tracks with my Commodore 64. I really do like this thing a lot.

8 Likes

Hey guys having issues trying to post my youtube video here but here is a basic overview and workflow guide working with the fundamentals of the polyend play! More to come!

1 Like

Some interesting info on the 1.4 update here: Polyend on Superbooth 2023 - Announcements - Polyend Backstage

5 Likes