Polyend Play

alright

1 Like

The lesson to learn from all this is that Benn works with Polyend and by that extension bias will be present, conscious or unconscious. It’s probably best to not review gear when you have been involved with the company making it. It’s a shame that this has all come to a head towards Benn, the anger over the actions of Polyend is real but Benn did not make the choices to do this Polyend did. His mistake was to misjudge the mood about this product launch and to make the video promoting it. I really don’t think he is a bad guy. He just ate where he pooped is all. :grinning:

1 Like

they should have raised the price of the plus by 200-300, this way existing customers wouldn’t feel scammed. Thrn after some time they lower the price to the current 800

Disclosing you got a free item you didn’t pay for is the literal opposite of being a shill.

A shill is a fake customer who pretends they bought an item they got free.

Words have meanings.

13 Likes

Actually the definition is not a clear cut as made out. For example dictionary.com states for shill: “2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.”

13 Likes

I think the whole thread since the announcement gives a pretty good insight.

One big takeaway on people being mislead is the upgrade price.

The upgrade price is 399EU/USD. However Benn was giving away a 200EU/USD discount to his Patreon users.

That is a massive 50% right at launch which should give you a pretty good indication of the true cost of the upgrade. Fairly certain at even 200 Polyend is making profit.

In regards to the upgrade price there is also the Loopop situation: Polyend told him it would be 200 EU/US. Then, without informing him, they changed it to 399.

5 Likes

Did they tell you anything about what the price for the upgrade would be? Don’t mean to put you on the spot ofc and feel free to ignore if you don’t feel like discussing. Even goede vrienden natuurlijk.

Just curious after reading what Loopop said.

I don’t care even if he paid for his Play+ it’s irrelevant. He is buddied up with them and is not impartial. He probably thinks he is one of the team.

Benn isn’t the one sending in his OG Play for an extortionate upgrade that’s for sure, he is the last person that should be preaching on the subject. I’d say it qualifies as shilling. We are in the internet age, not people trying to sell actual snake oil.

5 Likes

Great I just bought an used Play last week which should be arrived today:(

BTW can I ask, since I’m still new to the Play can anyone answer these questions.

I have a MPC Kit which is just a folder of wavs, but is there choke/mute groups so I can play slices without overlapping?. If that makes sense.

Also for chords, I know there’s some template chords, however, can I plug in a midi controller and play chords or is this a case like a tracker manually inputting notes?

No choke groups, but you can place the samples on the same track to achieve a similar effect. Any sample can be placed on any step of any track. You can play in custom chords in a similar way to the tracker (using multiple “armed” tracks).

1 Like

Thanks buddy, still feel burnt with the Play still.

1 Like

Nope,

basically I got no other info besides “we’re releasing a play+”

1 Like

Who’s gonna tell him?

2 Likes

My understanding of the word has always been that the person does not disclose their relationship with a company/product they are discussing.

4 Likes

Yes I saw this in my local retailer as well:

The price drop for Play also isn’t there. I wonder how news like this affects retailers (mainly do they incur a loss). I guess they have to decide if they want to gradually or immediately drop the price to match MSRP.

You know an argument has run its course when people start quoting different Internet definitions of words at each other.

“Shill” has always had an informal meaning of someone who is promoting a product. An actor in a commercial is said to be shilling. We know they’re getting paid, maybe not how much.

In this case, the implication is that the YT personality is treating this company different from others and so their judgment is suspect.

I found this interview with the Polyend founder (you’ll have to run it through your favourite translation mechanism, unless you understand Polish) to be illuminating.

10 Likes

A shill is an advocate for the product that has a conflict of interest.

1 Like

Came to a elektronauts topic and I just learned what shill means. Thanx guys.

Edit: Still confused though

6 Likes

A shill is a fake customer in a scam that is going to encourage the mark (the potential victim) to fall for that scam. The Polyend Play Plus isn’t a scam as far as I know. Calling Ben Jordan a shill is hyperbolic at best.

7 Likes

It might be the best option for people that are dissatisfied with a manufacturer not buying anything more from them and move on. We all buy stuff thinking about reselling after trying/fullfiling curiosity, but in the end it was our choice to buy it and take the risk. In the end we can always vote with our money.

7 Likes