Polyend Play

Need a favor. The SD card that came with my Play somehow got fried when I was trying to put samples on it (the adaptor I use got really really hot). So basically I lost everything that came with the Play. I’m sure I can get the samples somehow and maybe Polyend will sympathize and send me all that stuff somehow but in the meantime, I’d like to be able to use my Play with another card. Can someone take a look on their card and tell me what folders need to be on the card? I should’ve backed it up at first like I usually do but I didn’t this time. Need help. Thanks in advance.

I’ve got it in the cardreader right now so here goes: Artists Samples, Sample Packs, Projects, BeatFills, Firmware, Samples :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you! I gotta figure out some way to get all that content back.

EDIT: see, I tend to freak out when stuff like this happens. Instead of panicking, all I have to do is wait until I get home, register my Play, and all the content can be downloaded. Just putting that out there in case it happens to someone else.

1 Like

I think you can issue a support ticket with Polyend, you just have to provide the serial number of your Play.

Spending my first days with the Play and so far it is pretty nice. I can see the various frustrations people have but they all seem like things related to getting used to how it works (ie. “any sample can go anywhere!”) but not much different than plocking samples or sample chain slices on the octatrack - it can be confusing but well worth it for the flexibility.

My only tip so far: you can double tap the knobs on the side. My initial assumptions (with no basis) was that I had to double tap the top of the knobs. Once I realize I can sort of tap the sides I could see myself getting used to the touch knobs (rather than just turning them off).

I’ve put a lot of time in with this machine and honestly, I think I’m going to trade it back to my buddy and get my OT back. I will never ever let my Tracker go but alas, Play is not for me. Love the concept, love Polyend, but man, those touch-sensitive knobs- I don’t think I would ever stop hitting them accidentally. I think Performance mode would be the only thing I’d miss but I have that on the Tracker. I did give it a fair shake though.

1 Like

That’s the one thing I’ve discovered, in the short two weeks I’ve had this machine, that I don’t like.

Can the touch sensitive feature be turned off?

yes, they can.

2 Likes

Not sure. Will have to check when I get home.

It’s very easy to turn them off.
It’s the first thing I did when I got my play.

2 Likes

Me too…I always had that turned off.

That’s what I thought. Everyone complains about it, but doesn’t seem to realize it can be turned off.

2 Likes

It’s literally in the manual.

No. You can turn off double-tap mode, but not touch sensitivity. A single tap will still activate that knob.

Is there a secret mode we are missing to turn off touch-sensitive knobs? From what I understand, you can turn off double-tap mode, but not completely turn off touch sensitivity for the knobs. One tap will still activate them.

2 Likes

You can’t turn it off. You can turn off the double tap, that’s it. Show me where you can turn off touch sensitivity altogether, please. So therefore, I’m not complaining about something I am clueless about.

It’s “literally” NOT in the manual. There’s only the double-tap touch sensitivity that can be turned off.

3 Likes

Has anyone coupled this with the Syntakt? For context, I’m really, really digging the sequencing on the Play and basically only want to use my Syntakt for synthesis, ie. use the drum engines as synthesizers. So I guess I could simply go MIDI OUT from the Play and control some of the engines, and then also run drums on the Play?

In regards to sequencing, is it possible to run both sequencers at once? Ie. have a tracksequence on the Syntakt running a synth engine whilst also sending MIDI from the Polyend Play to the same track? I know it’s a mono synth engine, but wouldn’t that result in some really interesting sequences with them cutting in and out of each, stealing notes?

PS. yeah the knobs are sooo sensitive on the Play, and no, they can’t be turned off. The double tap can be turned off, yes, but to select a knob you have to touch it, and that selection can’t be turned off. One can hope that they maybe can implement a software feature where you choose how sensitive they are based on how much of a surface touching them. Just like the aftertouch work on the MicroFreak.

It’s funny how many times people claimed the touch knob function can be switched off. But

ONLY THE DOUBLE TAP FUNCTION CAN BE TURNED OFF!

Would be interesting how Play could sequence Machinedrum. The lack of sample-shaping features on Play is rather jaw-dropping. So many features that I took for granted just aren’t there. No ADSR and LFOs is insane to me.

3 Likes

I totally agree. At the very least it looks like this is being taken seriously at the Polyend’s official board. There’s a wishlist poll and it has a decent amount of votes.