Polyend Play

Yeah it definitely feels overpriced for what it is, though it does cost similarly to the Oxi One and as a sequencer it does seem more powerful (if CV is not needed).

I definitely don’t understand the weird limitations companies are putting on their devices like lack of stereo samples especially when smaller companies can pack more features into a cheaper product (Dirtywave M8). And the lack of sample streaming from the SD card. I’m not a programmer by any means but why can Trash80 and the Deluge team get sample streaming and stereo samples out of their devices. And even old devices like the Octatrack do this at the same sample and bit rates. It’s just kind of baffling why this could ever possibly be a problem today.

But yeah, again it’s still cool and you can do a lot with the play but more so than any other device I’ve used it does feel like it’s catered to a very specific genre of music production where I wouldn’t say that about most devices. The Tracker definitely feels more powerful for $100 less and gives you more control, doesn’t feel nearly as much as “press a generator button until something cool happens” like the play does (though you can do that on the tracker).

Also think the Tracker could have benefitted greatly with stereo samples. The play being mono samples wouldn’t have been much a gripe if the Tracker was in stereo would would allow for a much better resample workflow. Just weird shit that is making me remember why I sold off the Medusa.

4 Likes

Which genre you’re thinking about? Techno?

To me the Oxi One is a more powerful sequencer than the Play by far. The Play is very limited in what it can do with midi compared to the OXI, which is an absolute powerhouse. Harmony and Chord mode are far deeper than anything the Play does. The Oxi already creates random melodies and creates them to harmonize with your chords if that is what you wish. The Play is not even close to that yet.

I kept my Oxi One, sold the Play.

1 Like

This is interesting. Definitely an area that needs improving. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

This sounds interesting, it’s one of my biggest gripes with the Play as it is

damnnn, look what just dropped - Digitakt OS 1.50

Slicing, timestretch, random slice locking, chromatic slice playing… Polyend are you watching? eeek.

6 Likes

Never knew this, but you can create your own beat fill templates:

Interestingly, they mention Bass (for future use). Is a bass fill on the horizon?

2 Likes

Accidentally deleted my last post with the link about the Polyend community, so here it is again

If you have some ideas on what you would like to see on Play, go request them, hopefully we might see some implemented.

Added requests for Arpeggiator mode, Chord mode for audio tracks and to enable keyboard mode for the 16x8 grid instead of that 4x8 clunky keyboard.

3 Likes

Although I think they are very different machines I have to say the new update from Elektron has me questioning my Play.

Tbh if Polyend just let me transfer files via usb I’d be sorted

I’ve come to a similar conclusion. Much as I appreciate the Play’s unique and immediate approach, I have limited bandwidth for new workflows. Elektron devices are familiar territory so sadly, my Play is getting sold to fund a Digitakt.

3 Likes

I think it’s cool that Play can be powered from my op-1 field. However, midi usb isn’t working in this setup. If someone has gotten it to work, please tell me how. I just want to send clock/transport from op-1f to Play via midi usb.

Same thing with me. Had mine for about two weeks, but absolutely hated the sample management aspect of it, the touch knobs, and writing anything melodic on it felt so alien. Made me miss Elektron workflow (sold my Digitone/Digtakt right before the song mode update…ugh), so I returned the Play and got a Syntakt. It feels good to have a black box again.

1 Like

yah i still have a difficult time getting used to the sample management and the touch knobs lol. if i’m in a “working with one-shots” kind of mood, i can get lost in it for a couple of hours :slight_smile: i think if i had more hardware synths, i’d use it more often.

1 Like

I’m just not clicking with it immediately like I did with the Tracker. One good thing to come from it, it’s made restart using the Tracker again and helped me appreciate what a wonderful sampler, tracker, drum machine, creative tool the Tracker is. I’m gonna hold out and see how they update this thing in the future and see if I can’t get down with it a little more. I did make a sample pack and that helped. Maybe I’ll make some more.

3 Likes

Thanks to @troxx for mentioning Polyend Backstage, I raised a feature request for LFO’s on the Play.

Unfortunately, here is the response:

“thanks for contributing! Unfortunately we have to decline this due to technical limits.”

Damn.

1 Like

I had a similar response when I asked if delay time could be a step effect (on Tracker, oops wrong thread).

1 Like

Now that I have owned both, I believe the tracker is better. But then I got a M8 and that destroyed everything. Highly recommend grabbing that one day if you like the Tracker. Super easy to resell if it doesn’t do it for you, but man it’s crazy deep with the 3.0 update.

I have tried to buy that thing at least 4 times and it’s never available when I have the money. I’ve run the headless version too and yes, it’s great. Maybe one day I’ll get lucky and nab one. I even offered the guy that makes them a trade one time because he was saying he wanted a Tracker and at the time I had an extra one. Never heard back from him. I’ll get one at some point I suppose.

Yeah my requests for a full ADSR on audio samples and chord feature for audio samples was declined too, due to technical limitations.

On the plus side, sample slicing, a 16x8 keyboard mode and a midi arp have been given the go ahead to be voted on, so anyone wanting to see these features implemented get voting.

Still waiting to see the outcome of Note/step length for audio samples, I hope there is no technical limitation to this as I think this is necessary when wanting to write melodic lines with samples that aren’t just short pluck samples

1 Like

He has a patreon and a discord for the M8. thats the best way to find a used one or know exactly when new ones are available.

The Tracker is easier to pick up and figure out. But if you feel like you are pretty well versed at it now, the M8 would just take everything to the next level for you.

One thing about Polyend stuff, Play included, is that it is super easy to learn how to use in a matter of days. I think thats a pro and con. The Con is that once you start digging deep into it you find things missing that you really want and many times they are things that can’t bve implemented.