Pointless thread about OT and me!

Totally self centred indulgent thread.

Just bought my 3rd Octa. Something keeps drawing me back.

Something tells me this time it’s a keeper - like it took me a few attempts to realise get comfortable with it and learn / realise what it can offer.

How do I know?.. I bought this one brand new!

Maybe I sold the others too soon because I didn’t have enough invested in making it work. Maybe I always wanted one machine that did everything and got frustrated (coming from MPCs)… but now have finally realised one machine cannot do it all and you need different machines for different uses.

So I have my brand new OT. And I’ve ordered an MPC Live for everything the OT can’t do. I think they’ll complement each other well.

This time it feels different… for now.

2 Likes

Good luck! My plan, in a utopian financial world, is to live record audio into the MPC edit it down and prepare it and then record that into the OT for mangling. The OT, for me, is obnoxious to live record anything that requires hands to play into, but fantastic for processing recorded audio.

I don’t have fun with loops or legitimate samples, personally

I’ve often thought about buying an OT new. It’d be my 3rd attempt at life with one but theres something about buying something new that encourages to stick at it a little bit more. Good luck this time around.

And @Ryan - that sounds like a killer combo actually!

1 Like

Keep toying with the odea of selling mine because im not using it much… for now… i know ill miss it if i didnt have it. One day ill use it and realise just how cool it is again so its a keeper for me.

1 Like

Right?! I’ve got a good deal of time to figure out how I’m gonna run it. I want to do all/most of my composing in the MPC. So I suppose I’ll just sample each voice from the Elektrons in individually or through various inputs split(trade my A4 for an AK to send key data to the MPC/MnM. I suppose for what few times I use the performance macros just over dub it when I move the project to the computer.

I’m also hoping that via the USB in you can pull the 4 tracks individually from the OP-1.

Also wishing upon a star you can plug an interface into the MPC and expand the inputs

In fact just reading how digitakt is gonna be more with OB and such would push me towards buying a second hand OT as a second instrument - i was interested in the digitakt/OT combo, amd still am, but two OT’s would be better for me id say :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh or that MPC Live or X ive had one crafty eye on … :wink:

1 Like

For me the OT is perfect for stripped back techno with only a few things going on e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsKrq-4kmBg Also good for remixing.

But frustrating for anything more layered, like sample based house with loads of different things going on at once e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6FsrjRmdy0 MPC or computer is better for this.

I like to make both :slight_smile: and a dedicated machine for each works well for my weird brain.

I don’t need anything else. All sample based. Different work flows.