Pointers for making a VST?

Appreciate the thoughts here. I’ll probably stick to being close to the metal but I program for a living so the other options are great for those that would prefer a different approach!

Or if I get frustrated with segfaults…:rofl:

1 Like

An advantage to the software approach of developing a VST particularly with C++ and JUCE taking you even closer to the “metal” (so to speak) is the opportumity to later port your work to pure hardware. ELK Audio has an OS and a development environment that allows you to put VST’s onto hardware under their version of Linux. This could be custom hardware with it’s own built-in direct controls, or they recently have added a version that runs on the Raspberry Pi. Of course if someone chose to they could skip the VST part and go directly to hardware with ELK Audios tools as well.

Adding to my previous post:
What i didn’t mention above is my recollection that the MATLAB system makes a VST by generating code that creates a VST. Please could someone else contradict or confirm this.

1 Like

Was not aware about ELK Audio. That sounds pretty interesting tbh. So a way to potentially make a pedal instead of just a VST? Not bad…

Well there’s another thread for that => Coding

Two other nice ways to make inexpensive real audio hardware on that thread:

The Daisy from Electrosmith and the MOD Dwarf.

1 Like

Will Pirkle’s book just got updated

3 Likes

Seems legit. Awesome!

1 Like

Keep em coming (for others as well) but I am happy that everyone is chiming in. I know it’ll be information overload for me but that’s ok. Much better resources than my fruitless searches has reminded me why I like this forum so much.

Really appreciate the help so far :upside_down_face:

Oh yeah and there’s also Pdvst. There used to be something similar for Max but i’m pretty sure that is defunct.

1 Like

btw, been eyeing the development of https://github.com/iPlug2/iPlug2 for some time. it’s currently at a “pre-release” stage but looks pretty promising! it’s also being actively developed (as you’ll see from the commit history). might become a viable alternative for JUCE in the future (although it probably won’t be as fully-featured in a loooong time).

1 Like