Podcast w/ classic trinity

The good people at Tortoise and the Snare requested a podcast, so I recorded an hour of tracks from my liveset.

It’s all created with Elektrons: I performed the whole thing live in one take on MDUW/MnM/OT/AH with Kaoss Pad 3 at the end of the signal chain. Did a bit of trimming in Ableton after the fact.

As always, this community’s contributions are everywhere, from 1-cycle waves I used in the MnM to samples in the MD, plus the overall knowledge I’ve picked up over the years. Track 4 is a collaboration with husc, who I met here, and I want to give a shout to Tarekith, who did his usual bangup job mastering the overall recording.

My gratitude to everyone, and hope you enjoy!

9 Likes

Word man - this is really sweet. Liking the move towards getting some vocals in there. Two thumbs from me.

1 Like

thanks brother :slight_smile: lots of your ideas and at least one of your 1-cycles are in there!

1 Like

This sounds great man, some really nice deep jams on here.

Care to elaborate on how you have your live set workflow? Like is the OT your control hub and then you add in bits from the other machines while looping the song currently playing on the Kaoss pad or OT? The transitions are nice and smooth. I’m just interested for myself as I’ve just gotten an OT and plan to use it as my control hub for live sets.

thanks! yes, the setup is pretty straightforward – just md/mnm into the ot’s respective input pairs, then out through the heat to the kp3, which handles transitions so i don’t have to burn an ot track for them. (i frequently use t7 as a track recorder, just not for transitions … i find the kp far more immediate for that purpose.)

in case it helps you, the ot plays very different roles from one composition to another. it ranges from making all the sounds in a composition, to adding a line or two, to sitting silent and mixing/eq’ing the silver twins’ output.

happy to answer other questions, ask away.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for the info!

So do you use 7/8 on the OT for any master channel fx? I was thinking of running my Rytm through the OT fx units for live show and using it as a kind of send fx so I could transition nicely between patterns on the Rytm. I suppose i could also record into one of the OT buffers also to keep the Rytm patterns going while I switch to a different one. Just trying to work out the best method of transitioning between songs/patterns at the minute! Any advice?

This is excellent! Definitely inspired to work more with these three now. 4 Elektrons and ADD is a blissful nightmare

How do you organize something like this? Are you just familiar with the machines so much that you can plug in patterns sequentially and work with that?

Do you use a bank for a sketch pad and copy/paste the patterns into the set bank?

All love brother!! I will thoroughly listen to this. :ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

yes, t8 is master and used for fx in all compositions, from the dramatic to the subtle.

in your case you have an option i don’t have – to run up to four ar outputs into the ot and process/sample them individually, potentially using them as an fx send using the cue outs as well. i get curious about the possibilities of this approach from time to time but i never explore it because my inputs are all taken.

if i didn’t have a kp3 no doubt i’d spend far more time using the ot for transitions. once you’ve got the basic ot transition trick down, you can start to imagine creative variations – for example, in your case, what if you sampled three separate ar lines into three different track recorders and then had each of them running their own track lengths, eack with their own fx settings? … just imagining stuff like that gets me salivating.

the flipside is, the more planning of this sort you do, the more it kinda implies that you know in advance what composition is going to follow the current one. (i.e., a complex transition like i just described might work great as a lead-in for one jam, but it may sound dumb with others.) ymmv of course.

some artists do plan their sets in advance and it would be fine for them. i don’t however, so i need to give myself the maximum possible flexibility, so i can take the set where i like from one jam to the next, as a dj would. that’s the big reason the kp3 works well … while it’s looping, i can load up whatever seems appropriate and fade in the right elements. far simpler, but far less thinking involved, which for me is crucial with an audience. :wink:

i know that conceiving what you want to do and executing it in a way that presents no future stumbling blocks is a major part of this process, so hope all this helps.

2 Likes

the first step is writing the individual compositions, which i always do as completely self-contained jams. (this set has pieces that i wrote both three months ago and three years ago.)

a composition is usually based on a few patterns that i evolve by unmuting tracks and tweaking the instruments to create structure. as i’m writing, i note things like which tracks on each instrument work well as an intro, where prominent elements like bassline, top rhythm, etc. are found, what order i might introduce these other elements, what ot scenes to use for different sections, what to focus on during improv, etc.

anything that feels worthy of sharing with a club crowd gets moved to a performance snap/project, and i note the patterns’ locations on a little cheatsheet. next to them, i use an evolving shorthand to represent the notes i took while composing. if i’ve practiced jamming each composition enough, a few hints are all i need. but i keep my headphones plugged into my ot so i can do a quick re-check with track cueing if it’s been awhile.

putting them together in a live setting comes down to practice – hearing a good match between two compositions in my head and creating a transition on the fly. i spend a lot of jam sessions just trying out possibilities.

for this particular set i planned it all out in far greater detail than usual, as i knew i was doing a formal recording. but for me, part of the fun is being able to roll with the crowd, so i just practice with this in mind.

saw your other thread so hope that’s a helpful answer.

4 Likes

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it!!!

1 Like

SoGood… Next Level

1 Like

This is really nice. Opener sounds very warm and organic, and the variation on the melody are very un-Elektron-like - in a good way! Wouldn’t think it came out of a 64 step grid :slight_smile:

1 Like

nnice, enjoyed it all @dubathonic :relaxed:

edit: had it in the background whilst coding…i think i’ll do the same tonight as well :stuck_out_tongue: :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah it did, thanks for the detailed reply man. Definitely gonna try out the individual step lengths on the outs of the Rytm!

1 Like

thanks … the MnM arp has more tricks up its sleeve than i ever imagined :wink:

1 Like

You are a Jedi. Thanks for the explanation of process, very inspiring to read. Fantastic set!!!

downloads now enabled if you’d like a copy

1 Like

in case we lose soundcloud, the mix is on bandcamp.

2 Likes