Pocket recorder with good, simple interface?

One of the best things about the TE TP-7 recorder is its simple interface. It records from cold with a single (long) button press, and the regular recording UI uses play, record, and stop.

Zoom recorders, on the other hand, are a convoluted mess. They have plenty of features, but ease-of-use isn’t one of them. Even my little Roland recorder is a pain. I never know if it’s actually recording or not, and boot time is waaaay to long.

Are there any good stereo pocket recorders with one-button-per function UIs, that start up fast? I was looking at old tape recorders, but the price is way too high these days.

1 Like

Maybe you can get into MiniDisc…?

3 Likes

I don’t know how anyone would get confused by the Zoom H1n to be honest.

7 Likes

The file format settings and menus with the knobs and levers are pretty obscure. Auto gain also?

But if you can just “set it and forget it” and not worry about customizing those options, then maybe it’s not so bad.

There are many threads on this.

3 Likes

I really like my Sony PCM-M10 for it’s super long battery life, you can keep it in hold mode and it can last forever it seems, then you can click it off and start recording immediately.

As for simple devices like the H1n being ‘obscure’, nah… Just spend 10 minutes reading the manual and playing around with it and you’ll figure it out. If you’re able to use a computing device and post on this forum then you’re more than capable of intuitively operating 90% of these recorders.

5 Likes

Audioshare app for your phone?

1 Like

Not on this specific topic though. I’ve read all the field recorder threads already.

That’s my point though. I want something that you take out of a pocket, press record, and it’s recording. I have no problem understanding complex UIs—I can even program a thermostat!—it’s that I don’t want to deal with them, or the doubt they introduce through complexity.

I will check out the Sony you mention, although I think it’s discontinued.

Good, but not stereo as far as I remember. I find Just Press Record better in this regard, but also not stereo. This one looks promising through, and simple.

4 Likes

I have been using the Zoom H2n for field recording since 2019, sometimes by itself sometimes with the binaural “ears” I have and find it very simple to use. It’s compact and (to me) sounds great so suits me fine. Also comes in handy to record any impromptu gigs/performances at a pinch!

3 Likes

Second the M10, very sad that it’s unobtainium now.

2 Likes

Audioshare is stereo—I’ve recorded in stereo with the Ambeo mics. You would need some kind of stereo mic for your phone.

I’m pretty sure you can do that with most if not all of the small recorders out there, you just need to make use of the hold function. There’s a Sony PCM A10 which is more recent and looks decent.

i have the exact same issue with handheld field recorders and am looking for the same tbh.

the closest that i got with being happy with a handheld field recorder was the sony A10.

its tiny, powers on instantly, has insane battery life (especially for its size) and can recorder with 2 button pressings (monitor recording then record)

it still isnt there due to the preamps unfortunately; i always have to fiddle with the gain amount to get a good recording level and preamps aint really strong enough for line in recordings, so recording volume is always low and i have to monitor levels constantly to stop clipping.

All in in all its still probs the most intuitive field recorder i have used (dont like zooms or tascams sorry) but still wasnt quite there for what i needed, so i sold it. Im now saving up for a TP-7.

The iPhone has stereo mics. The camera app uses them for video, but very few apps can address them. The Stereo Microphone app I linked can do this, plus it’s 32-bit float.

(Edited for spelling)

1 Like

This is my fear! I might end up the same way.

Really it would be nice if we could get more small 32bit float recorders, so gain isn’t a concern. There’s the Tascam X6 but it’s probably a bit bulky.

I think people overthink setting gain though, with 24bit as long as you’re peaking around -12 you should be fine. If capturing really quiet ambient sources is a priority none of the handheld devices really suffice unless you go the external mic with preamp into the line in route. A Sound Devices MixPre has superb recording performance and a simple enough interface, but isn’t pocketable of course.

Understood. All I was claiming was that in my experience, Audioshare can record in stereo with an external stereo mic. As you said, that app records mono in an iphone with the onboard mics.

Good luck with your search!

1 Like

If you’re wanting a good simple handheld recorder for on the go stuff I can 100% guarantee you that the TP-7 is a silly choice for that. Needing to use some kind of external mic with it so you get stereo means you have cable mess to deal with, and I’m pretty sure you’ll end up accidentally pressing stuff with it in your hand or pocket. With the best will in the world it is not a candidate for a good field recorder.

I agree. I’m definitely not interested in two separate boxes. The whole point would be to remove the barrier between noticing an interesting sound, and recording it.

1 Like

I don’t even have the h1n, I have the original h1 and it’s so simple. The physical switches on the back make it idiotproof (I am the idiot, don’t worry).

physical switch between mp3 and wav, physical switch for lo-cut, physical switch for auto-level.

When you turn it on, the record button is the only button on the front so you aren’t guessing at what to press. Its the only button on the front. You do have to set level, the volume for headphones is seperate from level but it has a meter and a red light comes on when you’re clipping so it’s not brain surgery.

I swear, the H1 recorder and probably the h1n may not be glamorous but they’re about as simple as you’re gonna get.

When you want to move stuff to your device/computer you just plug it in, it’s class compliant and opens up a file with wavs or mp3 files so there’s no converting of this or that. It’s literally idiotproof. I know because I’m an idiot.

Most of all, it’s cheap.

3 Likes