Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

just wondering: its seems that the layout of the 170 and 400 is pretty much fixed. but TE wrote that they plan to sell individual modules as well. but where can you put those? they wouldnt fit in the 170 and 400, unless Im missing something. maybe they will sell empty cases for their 2u modules as well. being able to change layout and expand is the whole point of modular, otherwise synths with fixed architecture are always cheaper.

otherwise i would call these systems semimodular: you can patch them, but you cant change the layout or expand them.

3 Likes

No big deal maybe the first times! And the screws are plastic? so they wear out easelyā€¦ Think twice, bend once! hehe not a casing to build when you are stoned!

This is a good laugh but I much rather would have actual pocket operator sized modular blocks with well chosen functions so we could still build a modular to our taste.
This looks like a typical monosynth design with limited patchability, although Iā€™m not motivated to look further.
Iā€™d rather a minibrute or similar but good luck to TE with it.

I built a Korg MS20 kit whilst significantly straddling dimensions!

And yes I did and it worked :brain:

3 Likes

someone read the manual properly (not me !) , and found this at the end (my emphasis)

that sounds to me like, TE are (likely) planning a open frame chassis (aka rack :wink: ) once modules are available separately, which would require faceplates. Id hope they go for eurorack sized, but I guess your comment might infer they want their own eco-system - hence pocket rack?

1 Like

These days it is pretty easy to get one off panels made, a weekend spent measuring and messing with a graphics program such as inkscape, print it out onto paper, stick the paper onto some card, test fit your modules to it, if all good send the svg files to a sign maker (dibond or whatever material you fancy) a couple of days later you have your own custom panel, drill the holes, fit modules, enjoy.

3 Likes

I might even make some of my own modules for utility stuff, depending on what if any omissions from the TE line up there may be.

2 Likes

Yeah and some logic stuff, also thinking about things like syncable mod sources with reset, kind of a cross between an LFO/envelope and a sequencer.

1 Like

The colourfulness reminds me a bit of the BugBrand Banana Frac modules too

https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_31&zenid=18cda70db851e30b08980263019e3cc8

1 Like

Yes similar in some other ways too, here is a pic of my old bug system:

14 Likes

A PT2399 based delay could be fun, had a lot of ideas about those a few years back. Freq shifter might be a bit above my skill set :joy:

2 Likes

Well that quelled my PO Modular gas and just took it to a whole other level. I have to go lie down.

1 Like

BugBrand stuff is lovely, but itā€™s not cheap (nor is it over-priced, mind).

2 Likes

3U like euro but based around Frac standards (Paia/Blacet) for power and imperial measurments rather than metric, modules are in multiples of 1FW (each rack is 11FW) so it is easy to not have tiny gaps like in eurorack.

1 Like

Design-wise it certainly looks cool, but itā€™s not a modular system - you canā€™t combine the modules freely. Itā€™s also disappointing that it seems to be pretty basic subtractive synth. Why are there no west coast style ā€modulesā€ at all? Would have made it lot more interesting.

they are modules actually, the systems just have their own faceplate shared between the modules, it says they are eurorack compatible, must be other options for individual faceplates.

Thanks for the correction, that makes it more interesting. Would be cool if the modules came with individual faceplates and could be bought separately.

Wait, see and hear ā€¦ this stuff. Still want a yet to be released Moog Subharmonicon a lot more than any of these TE Modulars :thup:

8 Likes

Oh me oh my, yes.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the one Iā€™m waiting for too, it has to drop for us doesnā€™t it?

2 Likes