Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

This seems amazing to learn on and I might get it just for that since I have never played with modular before. Seems like this one is targeted for people like me but I know that once I learn I will eventually want a real system…

3 Likes

Do not fold more than once. Could be a warranty nightmare.

Going to be tricky to unfold them back to flat if selling them on ‘mint’

2 Likes

These don’t seem to have any of the control you’d get with analog modules in euro though. No voltage control over the lfo frequency or envelope rates take the fun out of it for me.

You’re perhaps meant to buy their special elastic bands to drive with a Lego engine to modulate the knobs mechanically

6 Likes

Stupid modular newbie question - what do they mean when they are talking about no reverse polarity protection? Does that mean it is possible to make connections between the modules using patch cables in a way that would break it?

1 Like

No, I believe they are referring to power supply connections if wanting to integrate them into eurorack.

1 Like

Nice design but very dull modules.

7 Likes

My point entirely :+1:t3:

1 Like

Would love to see them do a follow up with their takes on Morphagene, Marbles, Rene etc.

Cool entry point for modular for the price. Or if someone needs those particular modules to compliment their rig and has desk space for it. But outside of the aesthetic there’s not much to get hyped on and it looks pretty easy to damage without buying a case. Price is good but lots of cheap modules out there from brands like Ladik that’d make for a more interesting rack…

Is there a front shot of the yellow one? Didn’t see any mults, clock div/mult, logic etc in the video. Going to hit walls pretty quick without those kind of utilities. Without that stuff it seems like a very basic synth? Probably more ‘modular’ fun to be had with a 2nd hand A4…

3 Likes

Yep I’d rather go 2hp!

1 Like

I still think the separate modules will be interesting. Kinda like the korg littlebits but more serious. Will be fun coming up with a barebones config and expanding from there.

But not getting a full system ATM… I mean, what if I want 6 sine oscs instead of one? etc etc

interested to see exactly what’s available but from what I saw id soon feel like ‘ok, what else can I do with this?’ Lfo, env, filter… yawn. Some kind of digital fx module with the op1 effects would have been dope. And a quantizer with op1 endless sequencer and arp type functionality built in. But it’s super vanilla compared to anything like that. Pass…

It’s just the beginning. If the system succeeds and there will be some sleek 6Ux84HP battery powered lightweight aluminum case it can become a huge win. Just think about it, portable laptop modular, no one makes such thing right now. Todays cases are thick and powered from a wall with all this noise coming from power supply compared to clean battery current.

Yeah could turn in to something really good. But for now I’d have more fun with a battery powered laptop and vcv than this. Just looks like a very predictable instrument…

1 Like

for TE this makes a lot of sense. When they release the modular Plug-in for the op-z the 400 will be a nice addition. At the same price of a mother 32 (which is the entry drug to modular for many people at the moment) the 400 is an attractive alternative. Good to see that they use the same electrical specifications as eurorack. So it will be possible to expand it with eurorack later. with 2U they are filling a gap between standard eurorack at 3U and the small intellijel 1U modules. but Im doubtful that other Eurorack manufactures will follow soon with additional 2U modules. If they sell enough form the 170 and 400 they might think about bringing out hybrid cases for 2U and 3U modules with built in power supplies (this is a very big plus for the doepfer cases). If they are smart, the deliver their modules with extra 3U-Faceplates. Having cheaper entry-systems is good for the whole modular scene. it will bring more people in, production numbers will go up and prices down. the volca modular is in another entry league, its a nice “my first modular” with tiny needle-cables. but while its not mechanical and electrical compatible with eurorack, youre stuck with the one vhs cassette.

1 Like

Guess it depends what people own already. Personaly I have no interest in another synth like this and at this kind of price point I’d grab a Mother 32, Neutron or O-coast ahead of the TE modular. All smaller and easier to accommodate/travel with. Guess that could change if the TE rack turns out to sound really, really good…

Re the OP-Z thing, doesn’t opz only have couple of cv/gate outs on the expansion module? And there’s only one filter etc in the te case? Neither products seem very ideal for their jobs to me - Sequencing or being sequenced. YMMV. Nice aesthetic on this for sure though. TE stuff always appeals to some degree purely from how cool it looks.

1 Like

I like the look of the 400. Very aesthetically pleasing which, at this sort of price point, does make a difference for me. It looks like the sort of thing I’d like to play with and hook my OPZ to.

Very cool and surprising move by TE.

3 Likes

Great for kids to teach about synthesis…

2 Likes

No, in the video i believe it says metal. And it looks metal.