Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

Not bad considering you get a pretty full system for as much as one eurorack module!!

6 Likes

My resistance to buying TE and Elektron gear is virtually non-existent it would seem, but I have to say we go back a long way and I have never been disappointed to date, a cynic might call me a gullible fanboy, I just think of myself as someone who likes what they do more than what most other companies do :wink:

For sure I will do a report on the 400 when it arrives :thup:

Here is a pic of the system taken from the manual, as there isnā€™t one anywhere else so far that I can see, looking at the module line up and assuming Ā£50 price per module I think it is actually quite good value for money.

6 Likes

Game over.

2 Likes

I hope they are starting to sell individual Modules. Could image the price in the range of the usual POs or below. What a time to live in!

5 Likes

That submarine yellow !

2 Likes

Itā€™s okay if you just want a bog standard synth voice.
For me personally the whole idea of modular is building something other than a monosynth in the traditional style but anywaysā€¦

Just thought it a funny throwaway comment about a poor man and his spare 500 bucks, thatā€™s all.

6 Likes

I like colours and design. They are the Ikea of music!

2 Likes

I agree. Its tongue in cheek but close to reality. But Behringers latest news is really the true poor mans modular.

1 Like

Or Braun.

Appears to follow all of Dieter Ramsā€™ Rules Of Good Design, though if it is physically ā€œlong lastingā€ we wonā€™t know for some years. My POs have held up well over time, considering how physically raw they are.

4 Likes

I guess that for me a bog standard synth voice (in modular) is what I like about modular, because through patching it can go a lot further than a bog standard synth voice in a fixed synth.

I went through the whole euro thing in a big way some years back, and all those exiting digital modules sure seemed fun at first, but after awhile for me they lost their appeal when I realised that they were a more expensive and often a less flexible choice than digital hardware devices. Of course Iā€™m kind of generalising here, and undoubtedly there are digital modules in eurorack that have no direct hardware equivalent but hopefully you get the point Iā€™m trying to make, for example a sampler in eurorack unless extremely expensive will be limited compared to say an Octatrack, and the modulation options will almost certainly be less too.

So for me I like modular for more traditional analog voltage control stuff, where things like audio rate modulation, oscillator sync, analog FM, filter modulation, feedback and other stuff that isnā€™t generally possible/as good in dedicated hardware, and I like digital stuff with lots more modulation options, midi and better user interfaces than most modular stuff offers.

Currently aside from the aira modules all my modular stuff is analog primarily.

Having said this I do get your point, and I guess the beauty of modular is after all its modularity :wink:

3 Likes

Sheet metal enclosures huh? five hunned ehhh

Iā€™ll wait for the single modules

Interested but these cases and the exposed bits at the back make me hesitant to drop 500. I got the pro cases for all my POs, and even with the pro cases Iā€™m dreading the sheet metal battery holders will snap like on my PO12, and then u is SOL

1 Like

The haptics and design of these reminds me a lot of this companyā€¦ brilliant.

1 Like

Hence the ā€œthink twice, bend onceā€ tip in the video :wink:

2 Likes

yeah, my dead PO12 doesnt get that joke tbh

2 Likes

These just seem very un-TE to me.

If I had to guess what their eurorack debut would be it would have been an ā€˜OP-1eā€™ in a squarp hermod form-factor, all the OP-1 OS but with CV io instead of midi.

Budget vanilla eurorack by TE just seems strange!

Calling them part of the pocket operator range is also weird and nonsensical

2 Likes

I used to play wipeout as a youth. The anime design from designers republic is why I immediately fell in love with the machinedrum.

Teenage engineering gear feels like Iā€™m playing with gear made for people who grew up on 70s/80s/90s anime. This is the type of gear I put next to my Manzinger robots and not actually use because itā€™s a work of art.

9 Likes

Not a joke, and as a PO owner I am very sympathetic.
Sorry!

1 Like

A man after my own heart :thup:

7 Likes

ahh sorry if that came across as angry. PO3x series is where its at for me nowadays anyway :nyan:

Just saying - sheet metal worries me

2 Likes

Yes kind of strange, maybe some interface to link them is coming?

This can probably be fixed, you can buy 2xAA or 2xAAA battery holders with flying wires for about a buck, then solder the wires to the PO PCB, Iā€™m happy to help you with this if it is something you want to do - I think we are in different countries so I donā€™t think it would be practical for me to do the repair, but I can advise if you want.

4 Likes