Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

Sorry to hear it, bummer for sure. On the bright side this latest bit of news has lessened my gas from hearing the sounds you’ve been making with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lets hope the problem will be localized quickly. Considering how TE handled the issues with the keyboard module, chances are good that TE will handle this promptly and with integrity. And hey, at least you found a workround with your PSU! I’m sure it’ll turn out okay. Wish I could say the same thing about my experiences with the force :zonked: still waiting for OS updates to get me back to using it…

Hmm, I think TE need to find some better beta testers, there are quite a few things that should have been changed before going into production IMHO.

I hate to say it but I’m noticing this kind of thing more and more lately with various manufacturers, it seems that “pro youtubers” only want to give positive feedback, which really doesn’t help anyone.

Having said this there are a lot of things I like about the 400 system, but if the various issues get fixed then I think it is only fair that early adopters get replacements.

8 Likes

Thanks for the nice review.

Are there fm options on the vcos?

Also is the there midi cv module in there?

Cheers

1 Like

This.
The YouTube synth thing is really annoying.
Years ago it was fine and sincere,
Not more now.

5 Likes

Yes the saw and sine both have linear FM inputs, the square has PWM.

No midi to cv included.

The filter cutoff knob has a bit of a strange response, not much range in the first half where it is pretty much closed until midway, then the last half is where it opens, also sweeping from fully closed to open quickly results in the filter continuing to open a few seconds after the knob is fully open.

Still, I like it overall, it sounds really nice.

Another demo

And one with the Volca modular

4 Likes

Thanks mate.

Great see it in action with the Korg modular. Sounds fab.

I’m enjoying the Korg modular also.

Are you working on any more Korg modular mods:
sequencer and keys out.

I purchased the 400 and have a question for someone who also has either the 400 or the 170. Specifically regarding the filter module. On the unit I have there is a delayed reaction with the cutoff parameter. Trying to figure out if this is intentional? Any thoughts?

And a bonus question for fun: Where does one find a PSU for this thing?

Thanks

I have the same thing going on with the filter, not sure if this is intended. What I know was intended is the range of the knob, which you can adjust from a screw on the module (but you will have to take it out).

As for the psu, I found this one and it works:

1 Like

You could always start a review channel :pray: I doubt you would make much scratch for the time it would take but I certainly would appreciate more critical looks at the types of synths I am interested in. You definitely have the experience to know a good unit imo.

1 Like

Thanks for the link!

I’ll check out the tuning pots. Thanks for the heads up on that. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I used to maintain a fairly popular youtube channel, but before it was trendy about 8-10 years ago, I had about 4000 subscribers which was quite a lot back then, and I did a few tutorials and “free publicity” for various synths, but it was rather time consuming for very little in return, often not even any acknowledgement from the manufacturers of the gear (Dieter Doepfer being a notable exception)

I used to get people telling me they bought a product based on seeing one of my videos, and I also used to answer lots of technical queries and give free advice, but eventually my video setup was both out of date and unreliable, and it was taking up way too much of my time, so I kind of stopped making videos.

I guess nowadays it is different though, huge viewing numbers, and as always “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” but to be honest and definitely without trying to sound nasty some of these guys don’t really have much technical knowledge or criticism skills, of course there definitely are exceptions, although these are in the minority, and they tend to be more successful with less videos.

For the amount of financial outlay, editing time and doing whatever it takes to get those all important views and subs I feel that my time is better spent elsewhere. I certainly don’t envy the guys that do youtube for a living, and I don’t think it is a good long term career choice. You can often see ever desperate attempts at maintaining a channel, and at times the look of stress and exhaustion on the presenters, and as we know youtube or patreon or any other revenue source can instantly change their terms or rates which can drastically affect financial viability for comparatively niche channels such as these.

6 Likes

NY Times magazine has an article on the operators

Today I finally got around to sorting the PSU problem, I bought a little +/-12v PCB module from AliExpress and built a little box for it and added a battery clip and 2.1mm PSU connector, now it works fine from batteries or power supply. :slight_smile:

I fixed it into the place where the TE PSU went with cable ties, nice and sturdy, and works great now.

2 Likes