Plz help me to decide purchasing OT (or not)

“Paraphonic” isn’t completely wrong… Even in MIDI mode It’s a still a tracker/step sequencer. You lay down a single trig for each step you want a note. The trig can send up to 4 MIDI notes. If you put a new trig down, later on, the new trig will cause all the notes from the previous trig to stop. If you want to overlap notes (have a new note start before an old note/chord has finished) you need to use multiple tracks.

3 Likes

so it works similar to DT midi tracks. I can live with that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Octatrack can be amazing as a live performance instrument. I’ve used it on it’s own to play shows, and in combination with a multitimbral synth module.

My way of performing with it is to build a lot of scenes for each song. Those form the structure of the composition, leaving a lot of room for improvising using the crossfader and encoders. This involves some work up front, but then if you practice it feels very intuitive and fluid to perform with.

The onboard FX I use (dark reverb, delay, filter, compressor, comb filter) are great. Filter and compressor are really outstanding I think.

The Octatrack is definitely a strange and wonderful animal. I usually start with an idea and the OT takes me somewhere I never expected. Somewhere very surprising and cool, that I would never have got to otherwise You have to collaborate with it, rather than order it around.

It’s an EXCELLENT MIDI sequencer too, I must say.

I think if you dedicate your time to learning and practicing with it, it’ll reward you like any true instrument.

2 Likes

There are some differences. Notes can overlap on DT (notes are all stopped by a new trig on OT). Notes duration are easier to set on DT (step values), and can last longer (128 steps), unless set to infinite.

You can lock Program Changes on DT, on OT you have to change pattern (and part) to send a new one.

3 Likes

I have to partially agree BUT the OT synced up to a looper like the Boss RC-505 is an absolutely beautiful combination

Sorry, I meant the SP404 can’t really used as a looper. OT is all good for live looping.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense. It certainly is with some caveats

1 Like

Man… it’s so close. Seems totally doable.

3 static Machine?

1. : 1ST trig condition or one shot trig. :wink:
    (A:B trc and/or scale can be also used for loops longer than 64 steps)

Q:

How much REALLY is OT playable in live situation?

A:
Yes.

But for real, the OT is very playable, more than most electronic instruments, but it takes time and practice to get there. Not as much time and practice as more traditional instruments but some time.

1 Like

alright, done. :sweat_smile:
as far as how the first 5 min. went, it seems like I’ll post quite a few questions on this forum so plz be kind to the noob. hope you all a wonderful day! :smiley:

7 Likes

The search engine will be your friend.

Shame you bought an OT so soon. I would have suggested a looper pedal.

Unless you want to learn the OT of course. Which you must do to get the best out of it. Learn it.

Good luck on your quest.

2 Likes

Use search engine for New user OT threads. I’m two plus years into having mine and I still post in the OT Noob Thread. It’s FULL of the information you seek, and folks are quick to answer with straight forward advice.
Congratulations! Take the time to learn that instrument and you are in for quite a ride.

1 Like

Yes, use search, and keep a hard copy of the manual handy. Merlin’s Guide too.

1 Like

The answers to 90% of your questions.

1. User error.
  2. Is the Flash Card in properly?
6 Likes

I watched this video last night and found it a neat way to loop on the fly that seems to work really well. I’d never thought about using pattern changes w/ one-shot recorder trigs to trigger recording. The setup this person uses takes all 4 inputs and routes them to 4 outputs (Main L/R and Cue L/R) using hard panning. So mono in/mono out but it looks like a pretty smooth workflow. For handsfree looping, you’d need a pedal that can send multiple MIDI CCs at a time as he’s arming all recorder trigs before the PC message gets sent:

You can arm ALL one shots with 1 message : CC54, ARM ALL.

If you use pattern change, you don’t need to use and arm one shots. You can record constantly with rec trigs with Pattern 1, and play with Pattern 2.

(With pattern changes you can also undo recordings)

2 Likes

The way he does it in the video is to send CC54 first then the PC second all using one foot tap.

I’m not sure why he doesn’t setup to constantly record but I “think” he goes over the reason in the video. I believe it’s so he doesn’t immediately have to flip back to the playback pattern or risk overwriting the buffer. Basically, if he wants to record into Flex 1 he cues up Pattern 2 (I don’t know why he didn’t make Pattern 5 the playback pattern and Patterns 1 through 4 match up with the buffers), plays what he wants looped, then he can flip back to Pattern 1 when he wants. If it were not a one-shot recorder and constantly recording, it would overwrite the buffer if he didn’t flip patterns quickly enough. He’s also micro-timing the recorder trig slightly ahead of the playback trig.

Worth the few minutes to watch the method. Might not be anything new to a veteran like yourself :slight_smile: I thought it was a neat way to organize a loop-based project though. :smiley:

1 Like

My method : use Flex with constant recording instead of Thru.
You save 4 tracks. :wink:

3 Likes