Please delete, outdated

I’m in an upgrade paradox.
Running OS X 10.9.5 and Logic 10.2.2, the last version that will run on that os. Still on rytm 1.30c and would like to upgrade to 1.31 but the OB version that goes with it might not work on Mavericks and logic 10.2.4 or higher is recommended. Meanwhile Iconnectivity still hasn’t worked out rtp midi between iOS 10 and Sierra. So staying on Mavericks for now.
I wanted to see the change log to see if it was worth installing 1.31 and just not having ob (which I barely use, but would like to more) until Iconnect sorts stuff out.
I might lose my rig kontrol foot pedal to Sierra, mixed reports. I could go El Cap, but usb issues? There’s rytm 1.30d?.. logic 10.3 sounds nice…
Upgrade Wormhole
staying put for now

Edit: and I even can’t access the forum preferences cause I’m stuck on iOS 8.4.1 for rtp midi…

1 Like

Ugh, sounds like a messy situation. If I were you I’d hold off updating for now… IIRC there’s only a coupla bug fixes in the latest rym OS.

It’s ridiculous, I just don’t want to be stuck behind on Logic and over bridge, but really the main reason I have my iPad is for wireless control. I guess really I just have to wait till that’s fixed for the new os’s…

I just upgraded to latest OB + OS + Logic.

Getting lots of drop outs and digital noise which wasn’t happening with the previous versions.

sigh

Worth a shot…cured my digital noise after upgrading.

works fine :white_check_mark:

Thanks - I’ll take a look tomorrow. :+1:

Is it logic or OB fault?

No way for me to know precisely what interaction is causing the problems:

I updated from Yosemite to Sierra and all the other firmware/software mentioned on the same day.
Everything still works fine in Live but it was working nicely in Logic (although automation was still poor) before the upgrades.

I’m also getting a blank white window where I used to get the GUI of the OB plugins in Renoise.

I love what Elektron make but I’m getting a bit impatient for OB to be implemented properly for everyone that doesn’t stick to Live. It’s been a long time now and was one of the things that drew me to their products as I compose a lot of non loop based music which OB should be ideal for.

Thanks, good to hear. But I’m unsure about logic, Mavericks is capped at 10.2.2, and ob 1.15 says 10.2.4 or higher “recommended” …

1 Like

You guys are scaring me. I know I could just freeze my system, but I’ve already been doing that for quite a bit. My machine is capable, and I’m capped at updating software that’s had lots of useful features added and bugs squashed. I think I’m 3 logic versions behind and the release notes for those are a mile long, and it’s not like I’m gonna stop rytm updates for to long…
Funny thing is my current system is pretty rock solid and I’ve had no beach balls, glitches, crashes, or anything, so I should be happy, it’s just that I’m staring to feel locked in the past when my macs got some more mileage for updates left on it.
Staying put for now…

Good call … That’s why I’m on Mavericks - too many machines get crippled by upgrading, it’s a tough one when 10.9 gets dropped from the roadmap of software-x but that’s just the way it goes - there was a time when you could rest assured Snow Leopard or Tiger or OS9 would be good to go frozen-in-time for years, but those days have gone - a machine running older stuff well is always more useful than a borked one running the latest update badly

I’m hoping that my iMac running 10.6.8 will last another 50 years.
It feels like it will.

The MPB I’m typing this on however has never felt very stable but heyyy selection based fx in Logic X is neat.

This is the type of mess that keeps me from going too deep with the computers.

A lot of my work is music/sound for moving image so I don’t have a choice.

I do still have the choice to leave the computers switched off when I just want to jam though and that happens plenty.

1 Like

I use software also but I stripped down to Ableton Live and Reason. I’ve been with the two for over 15 yrs and always maintain the latest os. I just recently started using Overbridge after a year of reluctance and I got it to work in a closed circuit. The AR as my sound card with all my daw audio being fed through the ARs master outs. This was the only way to get a tight sync with Ableton and the AR but that is not my preferred setup. Usually I just multitrack my outboard gear and arrange in my daw keeping it as minimal as possible.

The Mac has a 2.7g i7 and an ssd, mid 2012 model. Its blazing fast and feel like Sierra won’t be the end of the line for it, but who knows. I actually intentionally stayed on 10.9.5 had been planning to wipe the computer and do a clean install of the last version of el cap once mavs was unsupported and use that until it was unsupported, basically staying two os’s behind. But as Sierra came out it looked to be possibly smoother than el cap.
Would there be any issues rolling back to Mavericks if I give Sierra or El cap a shot? I’d be doing a clean install so seems like it should work but don’t know about firmware mismatch or any other surprises…
It be nice to know that if anything goes south I can just get back to where I’m at now.

I’m no longer so sure about the ins and outs and the games that apple play - it’s a bit more terminal on iOS upgrading i suspect, but i don’t know - i’ve generally gone the dual boot path in the past - i wouldn’t be able to go for sierra - so i’m vaguely considering an upgrade to El Capitan (there’s a way to get access to that on the app store still) but haven’t done the research on my current must keep apps

My newest machine (mac mini) is nominally the highest spec on paper but the worst performing of all, i don’t think it’s down to the built in graphics

So i couldn’t really offer any current real world insights on the upgrade dilemma - but for me, Sierra was more resource demanding and least settled, so i thought the time may be now or never to jump to El Capitan as some of the things i use are not being updated on Mavericks - i think a better machine than my Mini will be fine for the last two OS’s - but it’s always an install headache for a couple of days, i need the mini to work, so may stay put

i think your options greatly increase when you have actually got an install file or media, going back must surely be possible. maybe even to a carbon copy clone of a disc based on the older OS

1 Like

Mods if you could delete this, it probably won’t help anyone much as the os’s involved are getting outdated…
Thanks