Playing trip hop live... Which gear would you buy?

Just get the Octatrack.

4 Likes

I clicked on this topic just to find the first post that said ā€œget the octatrackā€ and then like it

4 Likes

Digitakt or Octatrack- can sample and also use for the awesome FX processing engine and sequencer. I love my OT for 8 tracks of crazy options for jams and live shows. The Digitakt is great if you want an easier learning curve and donā€™t need all the bells and whistles of the OT. Octatrack can do more but much steeper curve and larger footprint well at least on the MK2 one that I own.

Yea, Vermona Perfourmer fits trip/hop soundwise and looks nice on stage. Itā€™s a band so looks matter I would say.

You can connect a drum module to the Octatrack an let your drummer triggering some one shots while you process them live with the internal FX or an external delay or reverb. At the same time you can play synth samples and sound effects with a midi controller.

3 Likes

ā€¦an octatrack is defenitly the smallest set up to make it ALL happen what u got in mindā€¦

but u might need some additional good reverbā€¦some sample dust, some lofi crackle running through some big rooms is half ur rent to convincing trip hopā€¦

one solid bass synth might be also a good ideaā€¦beyond that, forget about synths for trip hop anywaysā€¦

ā€¦smokey crackle lofi down pitched slomo samples are a mustā€¦no matter what any band members might add to itā€¦

with an ot u can even free any drummer from any click track painā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming youā€™re attempting to stay away from rhythmic duties given there is a rhythm section already. In which case a sampler with a sequencer becomes less important.

Iā€™d look at maybe a couple samplers that offer different things. Iā€™d think an SP of some sort would be fitting. I also reckon you could get a lot out of a microgranny.

Maybe send the lot into the octatrack as a mixer/FX/live resampler? Hell I may have to give this a shot tomorrow!

Iā€™d go for a laptop, Ableton and APC 40 for triggering ( For clips and triggering the anti laptop on stage crew lol) .

Add a turntable in for some interludes of sections from some old vinyl . Watch some Kink YouTubeā€™s on how he makes vinyl loops with stickers in the record .
You can cheat a bit at this and use it as DVS controller and play some loops that you have prepared . Add a few simple spin backs or vinyl brakes to add to the performance

For bonus aesthetics have a big rack of old cheap broken samplers and fx Units next to your rig, make sure you have some cables running and some lights on though .

For Trip Hop Iā€™d also recommend a check shirt , trucker hat and a beard if you can ā€¦ think dj shadow crossed with a lumberjack

SP-404 and a DN would work for just about any genre. Very simple yet powerful pair.

Eventually I bought an OT! :star_struck:
I think it offers all the stuff that I need and it has lot of freedom to mangle samples in a very nasty way! :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Yes! Love my OT. Endless possibilities!

1 Like

Let us know how it works out for you in a band setting. Iā€™d like to hear .