Playing the chord changes

I perform music with lots of chord changes, specifically I combine drum sequences with a bass line and shift the bass line by a number semi-tones through the chord changes. So far I’ve used a mono synth for bass duties, but I’d like to use a track on my model:samples instead. So far between reading and fiddling, it’s not clear that this is possible. Certainly spinning the pitch knob is less than satisfactory. Is the elektron workflow only suitable for one chord EDM grooves?

Are you asking for a transpose function? It is not possible. If you want to use the MS to actually play a line, pitch knob is the best you got. That doesn’t even work if you want to sequence external gear. Might be a hassle, but I just have different patterns for different chords so that I can’t mess that up.

So for maximal flexibility, you’d have 12 patterns, one for each semitone (or more, if you want a larger range). Half measure chord changes are still not possible, though. Although the model samples is much cooler than the novation circuit, sometimes you can’t beat its Swiss Army knife groove box nature.

I see what you are saying. I think you can still master the use of the pitch knob for interesting results (you can use the back button to quickly undo the pitch change). Honestly I was pretty bummed about a couple limits the machine had (polyphonic sequencing was one) but I found creative ways to go around them and that lead to nice and unexpected results so far!

Model:Samples has much more flexibility for twisted beats on the fly, but the Circuit must be one of the best grooveboxes when it comes to melodic parts.