Playing live - how do you not get lost?

I’m doing a live set this weekend (my first!) and while I’m practicing I’m finding that I’m losing track how how long I’ve spent in a pattern, which I’d rather not do because it’s probably boring :slight_smile: I’m aiming for 30 mins, and I’ve got 6 - 9 tunes in my set.

How do you keep track of where you are and how long you’ve been in each section? Timer? Arrangement mode?

2 Likes

I don t time things, just go by feeling. But i m not very good at it and tend to rush things. I get nervous when going on stage and that leads me to rush things. Don t. Take your time. The audience is hearing it for the first time.

I do bring a paper sheet with notes about my set s progression.

There are threads in the forum already about how to plan and organize live gigs.

2 Likes

9 tunes in 30 minutes! Woah thats a lot. Depends on the genre of course.
I dunno, if I’m feeling it, chances are the crowd are. So just do your thing. If I’m bored, the crowd probably are.
I dont use song mode for gigs, i just feel it out. I work in either 8 or 16 bar patterns so that helps me keep track of things a bit for progression.

Unless there is no crowd, in which case, just do your thing! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah 9 is too much, some of these tracks are short vignettes to separate the set a bit so might use them, might not.

Trying to avoid song mode/arranger as I’d like it to be more natural, but this is what leads me to getting lost in the music :slight_smile: it’ll be a learning experience!

2 Likes

Get lost! I saw a Karen Gwyer show once, she did one song. Literally one track. For an hour. It was awesome. Loved it.

6 Likes

rehearsals.
and timer to keep it real. (i remember some Doors live recording where Manzarek on acid could not stop soloing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

6 Likes

Oh man i can t imagine trying to handle the machines om acid :smile:

6 Likes

same here, but conventional instruments are a bit different, even keyboards

1 Like

Yes i think the best sets are the ones where artists evolve their material in an organic flow, as opposed to playing a succession of clearly defined tracks. Varies per music genre of course.

4 Likes

I tried it once. The first 10 minutes was weird, but then it just got really easy. The buttons the lights. The buttons the lights. :wink:

The sound from the monitors was worse. Bloody awful!

3 Likes

Stress tends to make you rush things…
Except for pure impros, which are sometimes a bit boring, if you have a set of cohesive materials, take your time.
Basically, a single pattern, with conditionals, fills, mutes and tweak ( we are on an elektron forum right ?) can give 5 good minutes of ever evolving interesting music, not to mention arranger/song mode.
Odds are : when you think it becomes boring, your audience can safely tolerate it for twice as long ! :rofl:

6 Likes

My experience (it’s been awhile) is that on stage time seems shorter (and longer the same time :wink: so i have to take care that i’m not rushing things. As others said: take you’re time. Better do less with focus and feel, than to much without any feeling.

6 Likes

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile: I’ll practice tonight by feel and see how it goes.

One of the most important skills playing live is reading the crowd and being responsive to it while still doing your own thing. Don’t just stare down at your gear, the crowd will let you know what’s working. This is, of course, for dance music. If you’re doing a more atmospheric type set like ambient or noise then just stick to your guns and pay more attention to the speakers. Maintain an evolving atmosphere and it’ll probably work if you keep it fresh.

3 Likes

others have already given good advice so I’ll give this: figure out in advance exactly what you’ll be bringing. that means even down to power and how to interface with the sound system. I once drove an hour to a show, hauled all my crap three blocks across a closed off block party area, only to discover the venue needed stereo RCA plugs from me and I only had 1/4", so I had to pack it in and leave. bring options for this stuff if you have it. make a list of what you’re taking and make sure everything on it is with you before you leave the house. check that list when you pack it all in at the venue. always do a “dummy check” when you leave or are done packing up at either one, to make sure you didn’t forget something dumb.

congrats on the set! nice to hear at least somewhere is doing live music (hopefully safely!).

2 Likes

Very important advice. The last thing you want to think about at a gig is a technical problem.

I m a stage technician so this part is kinda automatic :slight_smile:

I m one of those people with a selection of audio and video adapters in my backpack that routinely saves other people s shows with them…

2 Likes

I usually make a playlist, and put estimated timing on the songs. Depending on the vibe, I check the time once and a while to see how I am doing with time… But the biggest tip someone told me and I apply is to prepare well, make timings, rehearse, make notes, whatever needed. And then when the moment comes, throw it all away and go with the flow

3 Likes

True hero right here. I can’t imagine the relief if you are at your first show, feeling like you aren’t going to be able to perform, and then some random person comes in with a bunch of adapters in a bag and saves the day.

2 Likes

So I just did my set. Totally got off grid and got through 4 tunes I think? Haha. Was fun. Will be on Nedrush’s Saturday night stream.

I learned a lot, mostly about prepping better. Can’t wait to do it again.

Thanks for the advice!

9 Likes