PlayFader from Play All Day

Playing Nice :

Going Crazy :

Seeing these videos, i had to start a thread for this.

It’s a two-channel CV performance looper, with CV and MIDI clock synchronization, and also has pitch quantization capabilities, with preset and user-defined scales.

Summary of the device from Play All Day.

There are a variety of ways to operate it, through the buttons, there is a guide, but i feel a little intimidated at the moment, though i think it would be easier to understand when using it.

Currently pre-order ( crowdfund ? ) for sometime late this year, early next year ( unless delayed further ).

My earlier post on this from Machina Bristronica.

6 Likes

Looks pretty cool. Looks to be maybe $40-50 of hardware right there. Add in a little for labour and some profit… I’d say I’d be willing to spend maybe $70-80 bucks on this thing.

Let me go check the link for the price…

1 Like

The only surprising things about that price are they don’t offer them in pink/blue/purple plastic and how hard it must be for people across the pond to buy things when every dollar you carry in your wallet weighs a pound.

How many do you think they are going to make? How long I wonder did it take to develop? Let’s say it’s $50 in hardware, they sold it for $80. That’s $50 for materials, $30 for assembly and all profit. Lets live in a magical land where you could assemble one of these for $15 without having to make tens of thousands of units. So now you are making $15 in profit off of one of these. The absolute bare minimum development time for any electronic product is 4-6 months, and usually much longer than that. So lets say they make 300 of these, and it took them 6 months to develop, and they make $15 on each one. That is a profit of $4500. That is a really really bad income for half a year of electrical engineering work, and that is even with fantasy economics.

Now lets talk about reality. It probably took the person developing this over a year (I’ve been working on a simple analog filter for over a year). I would be very very surprised if they made more than 1000 of these, and probably more like 100-200 if it is anything like eurorack module production numbers. Our brains are so used to every electronic product being from a large company with economies of scale. If Korg were making this device then yes your economic assumptions would be correct. But this is just a person in their bedroom trying to make something for people. The price might certainly make it not useful for you, but believe me that the person making this isn’t getting rich off of it.

12 Likes

Yeah just the logistics of working with manufacturing in china and sourcing components can be a lot of work for a one man show. Maybe we could have expected 150-200 if he had decided to do it up as a diy kit and open source code but yeah the price is what’s to be expected I think…

it does kind of put it in a range where someone might just spend a bit more and go for a metropolix instead, not that there is exact parody between them but quite a bit of functionality crossover, having 8 faders vs the real time record on two faders, metropolix is incredible for jamming also. I will say more euro companies should be making little boats for there sequencers, I do have a small control rack now but I probably would have considered some sequencers sooner if they were standalone like the playfader.

1 Like

I saw him in his Lambo full of bling, riding dirty.

2 Likes

Its launched just now at £399

1 Like

This thing looks pretty fun. I’m a little surprised that it hasn’t gotten that much attention around here, but maybe there are a few early adopters? I would love to get some first impressions.

Does seem like a lot of fun to use once you’ve learned it.

1 Like