Playdate's audio editor is a pretty rad sequencer

Panic has released its browser-based game-development tool for the Playdate console. It has a sound-creation tool inside which is pretty great.

There’s a sequencer, with several oscillators for sound (it looks like sine, saw, white noise, and more) and you can also import sounds (although I haven’t worked out what kinds of sounds yet).

Signup required, but here’s an article on the Verge about it.

It got me thinking. Does anyone here use browser-based instruments? Any recommendations? Any downsides to using them?

4 Likes

Bandlab is worth checking

Content warning: expand for a rant

No. I refuse to use that kind of software.

The webification of everything is a drain on privacy, on focus, on ownership of your own works; it’s a distraction. In the long term it’s going to suck energy, time and money away from native app development, to the point where people will stop doing that “because it’s not worth it” (to a fairly major extent this is already happening), whilst not really offering the end user any improved workflow or experience. Web delivered software (currently) promotes surveillance, because everyone wants user tracking, Google Analytics, a/b testing and monetisation through advertising (which is surveillance).

I get that web-delivered software is “easy” for the initial install for many users, and easier for the developer to make something that will work on most recent hardware without the hassle of learning how to do that for Windows, Linux and macOS.

That said, the web audio API is really fun to programme for. I did a free course on building synths using it, a few years back and really enjoyed it. I’ve built a web drum machine too (not actually useful, more a demo/learning toy). It’s amazing how powerful that tech is and how easy to get going.

I should reconfigure my web hosting and blog’s content so these demos are more easily available. The random noise one might actually generate some usable, if not very original, tones. I’ll post back if I get around to it.

1 Like

Tahti is another recent browser-based sequencer, with p-locks, that’s so good I wish it was an app or VST.

https://tahti.studio/

Mostly I worry about losing work, not being being able to work offline, and the difficulty of saving and loading. That said, I’m rarely without an internet connection.

Being able to put a web app like this onto a modular routing app like AUM or AudioBus on the iPad would also help a lot. Connectivity makes everything better, sampling-wise.

Yeah its a pretty net idea, a very gameboy looking approach from the looks of the sound engine in Pulp. I might try my hand at it soon. I kind of just want to wait for the full SDK to come out in feb though, seems like it will be a fun and more open environment, curious if they will include a sound engine like in pulp or if it will be more up to the user to build out tools if they want the music to be sequencing in real time. Kind of wish there were a few more buttons on the playdate though, someone could probably make a cool tracker for it with the crank but it is hard to imagine that with out at least as many buttons and the M8.

1 Like

I liked the look of the Playdate a lot. Followed it’s development right up until the price was announced…

1 Like