Play/Stop binary control pedal advice

I have an M-Audio binary type one button control pedal that I’ve used with a Roland drum machine as a play/stop button. Can anybody tell me 1-if this is possible to use in the same way with the Rytm MkII and 2-how?

Thanks!
Adam

Which model of “pedal”?

If it’s a mechanical footswitch then there is no way to use it in the way you want with the AR.

1 Like

Can you send Midi CC’s to start the AR sequencer?

1 Like

The basic way Is on rytm midi setting, choose “receive transport”. Midi controllers then require a bit of programming to have them send start/stop messages.

No, only System realtime start/stop. Ive tried a few foot controllers and settled on the Morningstar MC6. There are others that work.

The lack of consistency from Elektron with regards to their Midi implementations is a wee bit frustrating to say the least.

2 Likes

It’s this one:
M-Audio SP-1 | Sustain Foot Pedal or FS controller for Synthesizers, Tone Modules, and Drum Machines

Can you elaborate a little? I found receive transport and it’s checked but how do you tell it to respond with a realtime start/stop?
Thanks,
Adam

OK. So this can’t be used directly with the AR.

You would need to use a device that sends MIDI messages.

1 Like

Ok gotcha thanks. Sam above mentions the Morningstar MC6, heard someone else mention the Keith McMillen Soft Step 2, you have any favs or suggestions?

@cometsincaves There are a few choices but it seems to require a deeper investigation to confirm if a controller can send transport aka start/stop aka system realtime messages.

MC3/MC6/MC8 can do so. And way way more. Highly programmable with web editor.

Yamaha MFC010 can do so. All programming is done with the actual controller, so not a lot of visual cues to guide, i believe. More straightforward though once learned.

Source audio Soleman can do start on one button, stop on another. When i used it, it couldnt do that AND pc messages. PC messages allow to change patterns and banks etc.

Lodigy umi3 does so but is usb to din…so you need a usb to din midi converter AND it needs midi clock sent to it, which means you need something like the the iconnectivity din-usb midi devices etc.

This was about it as of a couple years ago. I think there might be one or two additions to the market.

Keystep does NOT have any info saying it send system realtime but does say it can send transport to ableton. This may or may not be basic system realtime so i dont know if it works for elektron start/stop.

Behringer fcb1010 doesnt do realtime as far as i remember:).

1 Like

Thanks man much appreciated I’ll check those out. Hey did either of you guys catch my other post about Transfer? Still trying to figure this one out. @PeterHanes